Sydenham Poyntz (Poynts)
7 of 9 portraits of Sydenham Poyntz (Poynts)
Sydenham Poyntz (Poynts)
after Unknown artist, published by William Richardson
line engraving, late 18th to early 19th century
7 1/8 in. x 5 5/8 in. (182 mm x 142 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Sitterback to top
- Sydenham Poyntz (Poynts) (born circa 1607), Parliamentarian army officer. Sitter associated with 9 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Events of 1701back to top
Current affairsExiled James II dies in France. Various parts of his body are interred in a number of churches around the country; his corpse is buried in the English church in the Faubourg St. Jacques.
The Act of Settlement is passed, securing the throne to the Protestant Hanoverians.
Art and scienceSupported by the Bishop of London, Henry Compton, The Society for the Propagation of the Gospel, founded by Thomas Bray, obtains a royal charter.
Publication of The Christian Hero, the first major work by essayist Richard Steele.
InternationalWar of the Spanish Succession ensues. William III restores the grand alliance against France determined to prevent Louis XIV from installing his grandson, Philip of Anjou, upon the Spanish throne. The grand alliance, resolute upon a Habsburg succession in Spain, wished to prevent the country's unification with France.
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.