Queen Victoria and family
Queen Victoria and family
by Robert Milne
bromide print, circa 1898
6 1/4 in. x 8 in. (160 mm x 203 mm) image size
Sittersback to top
- Princess Elisabeth of Hesse and by Rhine (1895-1903), Great-granddaughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Victoria Eugenie ('Ena') of Battenberg, Queen of Spain (1887-1969), Queen consort to Alfonso XIII of Spain; granddaughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter in 57 portraits. Identify
- Prince Maurice Victor Donald of Battenberg (1891-1914), Soldier; grandson of Queen Victoria; son of Prince Henry of Battenberg. Sitter in 11 portraits. Identify
- Queen Victoria (1819-1901), Reigned 1837-1901. Sitter associated with 546 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits. Identify
- Princess Helena Victoria of Schleswig-Holstein (1870-1948), Founder of YWCA Women's Auxiliary Force and philanthropist; daughter of Prince Christian of Schleswig-Holstein; granddaughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 36 portraits. Identify
- Victoria Melita, Grand Duchess of Russia (1876-1936), Former wife of Ernest Ludwig, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine, and later wife of Grand-Duke Kirill of Russia; daughter of Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh. Sitter in 16 portraits. Identify
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: Scotland, Aberdeenshire (Balmoral Castle, Aberdeenshire, Scotland)
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1898back to top
Current affairsThe UK Parliament passes the Irish Local Government Act, which establishes a mixed system of local government in Ireland similar to that in Great Britain, notably creating new, directly elected county councils, and extending the electoral franchise to include all male householders and occupiers.
Charles Pelham Villiers, Britain's longest-serving Member of Parliament, dies. Villiers entered Parliament in 1835 as Liberal MP for Wolverhampton.
Art and scienceThe French physicists Pierre and Marie Curie discover the strongly radioactive elements polonium and radium, paving the way for cancer therapy and nuclear physics.
H.G. Wells's highly influential science fiction novellaThe War of the World is published, describing an invasion of England by aliens from Mars.
InternationalThe Spanish-American war takes place after Spain fails to meet America's demands to peacefully resolve the Cuban fight for independence. America secures victory after a series of quick naval and military victories in the Philippines and Cuba. Later this year, the Treaty of Paris gives the US ownership of the former Spanish colonies of Puerto Rico, the Philippines and Guam, the US also taking control of Cuba, ending the uprising and granting independence.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints