Queen Victoria and family
23 of 57 portraits of Victoria Eugenie ('Ena') of Battenberg, Queen of Spain
Queen Victoria and family
bromide proof print, April 1900
5 1/2 in. x 7 1/2 in. (140 mm x 191 mm) image size
Artistback to top
- Lafayette (Lafayette Ltd) (founded 1880), Photographers. Artist associated with 6907 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Princess Beatrice of Battenberg (1857-1944), Fifth and youngest daughter of Queen Victoria; wife of Prince Henry of Battenberg. Sitter associated with 102 portraits. Identify
- Alexander Albert Mountbatten, 1st Marquess of Carisbrooke (1886-1960), Army officer and businessman; son of Prince Henry of Battenberg and grandson of Queen Victoria. Sitter in 39 portraits. Identify
- Victoria Eugenie ('Ena') of Battenberg, Queen of Spain (1887-1969), Queen consort to Alfonso XIII of Spain; granddaughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter in 57 portraits. Identify
- Princess Helena Augusta Victoria of Schleswig-Holstein (1846-1923), Wife of Prince Christian of Schleswig-Holstein; third daughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 81 portraits. Identify
- Prince Maurice Victor Donald of Battenberg (1891-1914), Soldier; grandson of Queen Victoria; son of Prince Henry of Battenberg. Sitter in 11 portraits. Identify
- Lord Leopold Mountbatten (1889-1922), Son of Prince Henry of Battenberg. Sitter in 21 portraits. Identify
- Queen Victoria (1819-1901), Reigned 1837-1901. Sitter associated with 546 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits. Identify
Events of 1900back to top
Current affairsThe Conservatives return to power, after the Prime Minister Lord Salisbury calls a general election, known as the 'Khaki election', on the back of huge jingoistic support for the Boer War.
The Labour Representation Committee (LRC) is founded from a coalition of socialist groups; they win two seats in the 1900 election and Ramsay Macdonald is appointed secretary. The Labour politician Keir Hardie is also returned to Parliament for Merthyr Tydfilin Wales.
Art and scienceGerman physicist Max Planck proposes the concept of the quantum theory. Sigmund Freud's The Interpretation of Dreams is published. In the text, Freud outlines his theory of dream analysis, crucial to the study of the unconscious, and introduces key concepts in psychoanalysis, such as the Ego.
The Paris International Exhibition, attended by more than 50 million people and including over 76,000 exhibitors, marks the heyday of Art Nouveau.
InternationalIn China the Boxer rebellion takes place. The Boxers were anti-imperialist and against foreign influence in trade, religion, politics and technology in the final years of the Manchu rule. The Boxers invade Beijing, killing 230 foreigners and Chinese Christians. The rebellion is suppressed by a multinational coalition of 20,000 troops, with China being forced to pay large war reparations, contributing to growing nationalist resentment against the Qing dynasty.
- The World's Most Photographed
- Prince Albert Trail
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Queen Victoria Trail
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Born in 1856
- Alexandra of Denmark
- Learn more
- Wedding photographs from the 1920s
- Howard Carter: The Quest for the Tomb of Tutankhamun
- Rebel women
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints