by Thomas Cockson (Coxon), after Unknown artist
line engraving, published 1609
6 7/8 in. x 4 3/4 in. (176 mm x 122 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Artistsback to top
This portraitback to top
Title page to The Civile Wares.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Cooper, Tarnya, Searching for Shakespeare, 2006 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 2 March - 29 May 2006), p. 191
- Cooper, Tarnya, Searching for Shakespeare (hardback), 2006 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 2 March - 29 May 2006), p. 191
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain (7 July 2007 - 9 December 2007)
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1609back to top
Current affairsJames I, Queen Anne and their children attend the inauguration of The New Exchange, a shopping centre built by Robert Cecil, Earl of Salisbury in the Strand. The opening underlined Salisbury's dominance in the development of this affluent area of London.
Soldier, Sir Francis Vere, is buried in Westminster Abbey.
Art and scienceHistorian and poet, Samuel Daniel, completes the last book of his epic poem, Civil Wars, a history of the hostilities between the royal houses of Lancaster and York. It was one of Daniel's greatest literary achievements.
Cornelius Drebbel invents the thermostat.
InternationalPromoted by administrator, Sir William Parsons, in the aftermath of the Nine Years' War, the Plantation of Ulster encourages English and Scottish Protestants to settle in Ireland and establish towns on land confiscated from Irish Catholics.
English castaways, destined for Virginia, are shipwrecked on Bermuda to become its first colonizers.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- 'This sceptred isle': Shakespeare and the Plantagenets
Until 31 May 2020
- Peterloo 1819: Democracy, Protest and Justice
From 26 July
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Portrait of the Day: Henry VIII & Katherine of Aragon
25 July, 12:30
- Portrait of the Day: Richard III
26 July, 12:30