by Cornelis van Dalen, after Unknown artist
line engraving, published 1614-1615
9 1/2 in. x 6 3/8 in. (242 mm x 161 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Sitterback to top
- Josuah Sylvester (1563-1618), Poet and translator of Du Bartas. Sitter in 2 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Events of 1614back to top
Current affairsJames I summons Parliament. The crown and Commons conflict principally over impositions, the royal prerogative of raising taxes, eventually leading to its opposition in the Lords led by Henry Wriothesley, Earl of Southampton. James angrily dissolves Parliament, its ineffectiveness earning it the name, the 'Addled' Parliament.
Art and scienceHobson's Conduit is completed, bringing fresh water into Cambridge from springs near Great Shelford. Carrier Thomas Hobson is a benefactor of the project.
Sir Walter Ralegh, imprisoned in the Tower, finishes his History of the World. It is considered of one of the finest specimens of Elizabethan prose.
InternationalDiplomat Sir Thomas Roe, accepts the post as England's first ambassador to Mughal India.
Treaty of Xanten, signed between the Elector of Brandenburg and Count Palatine of Neuburg, ends hostilities over the territories of Cleves and Jülich. James I's diplomacy in concluding the treaty ultimately begins difficulties with the Dutch.
Make a donation
Support our Making History appeal and help us transform the Gallery.
A unique range of books, accessories and gifts. Every purchase supports the Gallery’s work.
Bring a familiar face home
Refresh your home gallery with a huge selection of custom art prints .
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints