The Hastings family
5 of 7 portraits of Marguerite Helen Astley (née Nevill), Lady Hastings
The Hastings family
by Bassano Ltd
whole-plate film negative, 12 September 1936
Given by Bassano & Vandyk Studios, 1974
Artistback to top
- Bassano Ltd (active 1901-1962), Photographers. Artist associated with 42745 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Hon. Simon Nevill Astley (1919-1946), Major; son of 21st Baron Hastings. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Albert Edward Delaval Astley, 21st Baron Hastings (1882-1956), Lieutenant-Colonel. Sitter in 11 portraits.
- Marguerite Helen Astley (née Nevill), Lady Hastings (1887-1975), Daughter of 3rd Marquess of Abergavenny; wife of Albert Edward Delaval Astley, 21st Baron Hastings. Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Edward Delaval Henry Astley, 22nd Baron Hastings (1912-2007), Son of Albert Edward Delavel Astley, 21st Baron Hastings. Sitter in 8 portraits.
- Hon. Helen Elizabeth Delaval Haw (née Astley) (1907-2006), Former wife of Ian Bulloch and of George Field, and later wife of John Haw; daughter of 21st Baron Hastings. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Hon. Jean Napier (née Astley) (1917-2000), Served in World War II; daughter of 21st Baron Hastings; wife of Mark Napier. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Hon. Armyne Margaret Schofield (née Astley) (1909-1979), Daughter of 21st Baron Hastings; wife of William Schofield. Sitter in 5 portraits.
Events of 1936back to top
Current affairsFollowing the death of his father George V, Edward succeeds to the throne as King Edward VIII, but chooses to abdicate in order to marry the American divorcee, Wallis Simpson. Edward was the only monarch every to voluntarily relinquish the throne.
Art and scienceThe Spitfire, designed by Reginald Mitchell, has its maiden flight. The RAF and other allied forces used the plane extensively and to great effect during the Second World War.
Television broadcasting begins. Although the BBC had been transmitting television since 1930, regular service did not begin until 1936, when the 'BBC Television Service' (now BBC One) was broadcast from Alexandra Palace.
InternationalThe Spanish Civil War begins. Nationalists, led by General Francisco Franco, and supported by Italian and German fascist governments, rebelled against the Second Spanish Republic. The conflict lasted until 1939, and anticipated many of the features of the Second World War: fighting between Communists and Fascists, the rise of nationalism and the use of terror tactics against civilians.
- Margery Allingham
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Learn more
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Bassano Studio Portrait Collection
- Classical Music and the First World War
- Athletes and Olympians
- Centenary of flight
- Born in 1856
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints