Royal family group
1 portrait of Olga, Grand Duchess of Russia
Royal family group
by Robert Milne
bromide print on card mount, September 1896
8 1/4 in. x 5 7/8 in. (208 mm x 150 mm) image size
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- Alexandra, Empress of Russia (née Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine) (1872-1918), Consort of Nicholas II, Emperor of Russia; daughter of Princess Alice and granddaughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter in 18 portraits.
- King Edward VII (1841-1910), Reigned 1901-10. Sitter associated with 503 portraits.
- Nicholas II, Emperor of Russia (1868-1918), Reigned 1894-1917. Sitter in 23 portraits.
- Olga, Grand Duchess of Russia (1895-1918), Daughter of Nicholas II, Emperor of Russia. Sitter in 12 portraits.
- Queen Victoria (1819-1901), Reigned 1837-1901. Sitter associated with 532 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: Scotland, Aberdeenshire (Balmoral Castle, Aberdeenshire, Scotland)
Events of 1896back to top
Current affairsQueen Victorian surpasses her grandfather King George III as the longest-reigning monarch in Britain.
The first speeding conviction is given to Walter Arnold of Kent, for exceeding the limit of 2 mph.
William Morris, the author, designer and prominent socialist, dies at Kelmscott House in Hammersmith, aged 62.
Art and scienceDan Leno, creator of the Pantomine Dame, is signed to Drury Lane theatre company, where he stays for sixteen years, playing some of the best known Pantomine characters.
Henry Ford builds his first gasoline-powered car. Running on four bicycle wheels it was dubbed the 'Quadricycle'; its success contributed to the founding of the Ford Motor Company in 1903.
InternationalThe first modern Olympic Games are held in Athens, organised by the International Olympic Committee, formed in Paris in 1894. Events included athletics, cycling, weightlifting and wrestling, with around fourteen nations competing.
Rhodes resigns as Cape Colony Prime Minister after refusing to repudiate Jameson for his part in the raid on the Transvaal.
Exhibitions and displays
- Being Queen Victoria
Until 7 July 2018
Tell us more
Help us conserve a portrait of a female adventurer, poet and medical pioneer