Queen Victoria group at Balmoral
Queen Victoria group at Balmoral
by Robert Milne
bromide print on card mount, June 1898
6 1/4 in. x 8 1/8 in. (160 mm x 205 mm) image size
Sittersback to top
- Irene of Hesse and by Rhine, Princess Henry of Prussia (1866-1953), Wife of Prince Heinrich of Prussia; daughter of Louis IV of Hesse-Darmstadt and by Rhine. Sitter in 9 portraits. Identify
- Marie Amelie ('Molly') (née of Baden) Princess of Leiningen (1834-1899), Wife of Ernst Leopold, 4th Prince of Leiningen; daughter of Leopold, Grand Duke of Baden. Sitter in 5 portraits. Identify
- Prince Maurice Victor Donald of Battenberg (1891-1914), Soldier; grandson of Queen Victoria; son of Prince Henry of Battenberg. Sitter in 11 portraits. Identify
- Prince Sigismund of Prussia (1896-1978), Son of Prince Heinrich of Prussia. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Queen Victoria (1819-1901), Reigned 1837-1901. Sitter associated with 546 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits. Identify
- Princess Victoria of Wales (1868-1935), Fourth child of King Edward VII. Sitter associated with 110 portraits. Identify
- Princess Helena Victoria of Schleswig-Holstein (1870-1948), Founder of YWCA Women's Auxiliary Force and philanthropist; daughter of Prince Christian of Schleswig-Holstein; granddaughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 36 portraits. Identify
- Prince Waldemar of Prussia (1889-1945), Son of Prince Heinrich of Prussia. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: Scotland, Aberdeenshire (Balmoral Castle, Aberdeenshire, Scotland)
Events of 1898back to top
Current affairsThe UK Parliament passes the Irish Local Government Act, which establishes a mixed system of local government in Ireland similar to that in Great Britain, notably creating new, directly elected county councils, and extending the electoral franchise to include all male householders and occupiers.
Charles Pelham Villiers, Britain's longest-serving Member of Parliament, dies. Villiers entered Parliament in 1835 as Liberal MP for Wolverhampton.
Art and scienceThe French physicists Pierre and Marie Curie discover the strongly radioactive elements polonium and radium, paving the way for cancer therapy and nuclear physics.
H.G. Wells's highly influential science fiction novellaThe War of the World is published, describing an invasion of England by aliens from Mars.
InternationalThe Spanish-American war takes place after Spain fails to meet America's demands to peacefully resolve the Cuban fight for independence. America secures victory after a series of quick naval and military victories in the Philippines and Cuba. Later this year, the Treaty of Paris gives the US ownership of the former Spanish colonies of Puerto Rico, the Philippines and Guam, the US also taking control of Cuba, ending the uprising and granting independence.
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.