by John William Cook
line engraving, published 1828
8 7/8 in. x 5 1/2 in. (227 mm x 141 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Artistback to top
- John William Cook (active 1820-1832), Engraver. Artist associated with 11 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Thomas Cecill (active 1628-1635), Engraver and draughtsman. Sitter in 4 portraits, Artist associated with 16 portraits. Identify
- Simon de Passe (1595-1647), Engraver. Sitter in 4 portraits, Artist associated with 202 portraits. Identify
- George Glover (active 1625-1652), Engraver. Sitter in 4 portraits, Artist associated with 89 portraits. Identify
- Abraham Hertochs (Hertocks) (active 1626-1672), Engraver. Sitter in 4 portraits, Artist associated with 28 portraits. Identify
- Pierre Lombart (1612 or 1613-1682), Engraver. Sitter in 4 portraits, Artist associated with 132 portraits. Identify
- William Marshall (circa 1617-1649), Engraver. Sitter in 4 portraits, Artist associated with 189 portraits. Identify
- John Payne (died 1648 or before), Printmaker. Sitter in 4 portraits, Artist associated with 69 portraits. Identify
- Robert Vaughan (circa 1600-circa 1660), Artist. Sitter in 4 portraits, Artist associated with 77 portraits. Identify
Events of 1828back to top
Current affairsDuke of Wellington becomes Prime Minister.
Madhouse Act attempts to regulate asylums and ensure new arrivals are genuinely insane.
Repeal of the Test Acts removes political restrictions from dissenters, allowing them to hold public office.
Art and scienceLondon Zoological Gardens open in Regent's Park. They provide both entertainment and a supply of exotic specimens for naturalists and anatomists such as Richard Owen who becomes a European authority on the subject.
InternationalDaniel O'Connell is elected Member of Parliament for County Clare but as a Catholic is not permitted to take his seat.
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints