2 of 5 portraits of William Abell
after Unknown artist
16 in. x 11 in. (405 mm x 278 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Sitterback to top
- William Abell (1584-circa 1655), English vintner; Alderman of London. Sitter in 5 portraits.
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1641back to top
Current affairsStatesman, John Pym, plays a leading part in bringing charges of treason against the king's chief councillor, Thomas Wentworth, Earl of Strafford whose subsequent execution is widely celebrated.
The Grand Remonstrance, a long, comprehensive indictment of the king's government since his accession, is narrowly passed by Parliament.
Art and scienceFollowing the death of Sir Anthony van Dyck, William Dobson is appointed Principal Painter to the king.
Poet and polemicist, John Milton, publishes the first of several anti-prelatical tracts, attacking the episcopal form of church governance and in particular, the arguments of royalist Joseph Hall, Bishop of Norwich.
InternationalThe Irish Catholic gentry, fearing invasion from the increasingly pro-Puritan English Long Parliament and the Scottish Covenants, launch an unsuccessful coup d'etat in order to seize concessions for Catholics; the ensuing Irish Rebellion, which precipitated civil war in the three kingdoms, is led by Irish rebel, Sir Phelim O'Neill.
Make a donation
Support our Make History appeal and help us transform the Gallery.
A unique range of books, accessories and gifts. Every purchase supports the Gallery’s work.
Bring a familiar face home
Refresh your home gallery with a huge selection of custom art prints .
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.