by Dean Marsh
oil on plywood panel, 2008
30 in. (763 mm) diameter
Commissioned as part of the First Prize, BP Portrait Award, 2005, 2008
Sitterback to top
- Camila Batmanghelidjh (1963-), Psychotherapist; founder of Kids Company. Sitter in 3 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Winner of the BP Portrait Award in 2005, Marsh was drawn to the sitter's distinctive dress style and found inspiration in the portraits of the nineteenth-century French artist Jean-Auguste-Dominique Ingres. The sitter hopes that this portrait will encourage children to follow their dreams, 'no matter what the struggle.'
Linked publicationsback to top
- Howgate, Sarah; Nairne, Sandy, A Guide to Contemporary Portraits, 2009, p. 39
- Nairne, Sandy (introduction), 500 Portraits: BP Portrait Award, 2011, p. 30
- Ribeiro, Aileen; Blackman, Cally, A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery, 2015, p. 22
- Various contributors, National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain, 2014, p. 274
Tell us more
Help us conserve a portrait of a female adventurer, poet and medical pioneer