'The Kings and Queens of England: From the Conquest to Queen Victoria'
5 of 66 portraits of King Henry VII
'The Kings and Queens of England: From the Conquest to Queen Victoria'
by Henry Hering
albumen carte-de-visite photomontage, 1862
2 7/8 in. x 2 1/8 in. (72 mm x 55 mm) image size
Given by Algernon Graves, 1916
Sittersback to top
- Queen Adelaide (Princess Adelaide of Saxe-Meiningen) (1792-1849), Queen of William IV. Sitter associated with 36 portraits.
- Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (1819-1861), Prince Consort of Queen Victoria. Sitter in 208 portraits, Artist associated with 2 portraits.
- Queen Anne (1665-1714), Reigned 1702-14. Sitter associated with 74 portraits.
- Anne of Bohemia (1366-1394), Queen of Richard II. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Anne Neville, Queen of England (1456-1485), Consort of King Richard III. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Anne Boleyn (circa 1500-1536), Second Queen of Henry VIII. Sitter associated with 26 portraits.
- Anne of Cleves (1515-1557), Fourth Queen of Henry VIII. Sitter associated with 13 portraits.
- Anne of Denmark (1574-1619), Queen of James I. Sitter associated with 49 portraits.
- Prince Arthur, 1st Duke of Connaught and Strathearn (1850-1942), Field Marshal, Governor General of Canada; son of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 158 portraits.
- Berengaria of Navarre (circa 1165-1230), Consort of King Richard I. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Caroline Wilhelmina of Brandenburg-Ansbach (1683-1737), Queen of George II. Sitter in 36 portraits.
- Caroline Amelia Elizabeth of Brunswick (1768-1821), Queen of George IV. Sitter in 101 portraits.
- Catherine of Valois (1401-1437), Queen of Henry V. Sitter associated with 5 portraits.
- Catherine Howard (circa 1518-1542), Fifth Queen Consort of Henry VIII. Sitter associated with 11 portraits.
- Catherine of Braganza (1638-1705), Queen of Charles II. Sitter associated with 64 portraits.
- King Charles I (1600-1649), Reigned 1625-49. Sitter associated with 335 portraits.
- King Charles II (1630-1685), Reigned 1660-85. Sitter associated with 295 portraits.
- Princess Charlotte Augusta of Wales (1796-1817), Daughter of George IV. Sitter associated with 49 portraits.
- Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz (1744-1818), Queen consort of George III. Sitter associated with 84 portraits.
- Oliver Cromwell (1599-1658), Lord Protector of England. Sitter associated with 224 portraits.
- Lady Jane Dudley (née Grey) (1537-1554), Proclaimed Queen 1553. Sitter associated with 56 portraits.
- King Edward I (1239-1307), Reigned 1272-1307. Sitter associated with 25 portraits.
- King Edward II (1284-1327), Reigned 1307-27. Sitter associated with 26 portraits.
- King Edward III (1312-1377), Reigned 1327-77. Sitter associated with 30 portraits.
- King Edward IV (1442-1483), Reigned 1461-70 and 1471-83. Sitter associated with 37 portraits.
- King Edward V (1470-1483), Reigned 1483. Sitter associated with 15 portraits.
- King Edward VI (1537-1553), Reigned 1547-53. Sitter associated with 48 portraits.
- Eleanor of Aquitaine (circa 1122-1204), Consort of Louis VII, King of France; later consort of King Henry II. Sitter associated with 3 portraits.
- Eleanor of Provence (circa 1223-1291), Consort of King Henry III. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Eleanor of Castile (1241-1290), Queen of Edward I and Countess of Ponthieu. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Queen Elizabeth I (1533-1603), Reigned 1558-1603. Sitter associated with 135 portraits.
- Elizabeth Woodville (circa 1437-1492), Queen of Edward IV. Sitter in 13 portraits.
- Elizabeth of York (1466-1503), Queen of Henry VII. Sitter associated with 24 portraits.
- King George I (1660-1727), Reigned 1714-27. Sitter associated with 53 portraits.
- King George II (1683-1760), Reigned 1727-60. Sitter associated with 58 portraits.
- King George III (1738-1820), Reigned 1760-1820. Sitter associated with 192 portraits.
- King George IV (1762-1830), Regent 1811-19; Reigned 1820-30. Sitter associated with 269 portraits.
- Prince George of Denmark, Duke of Cumberland (1653-1708), Consort of Queen Anne; son of King Frederick III of Denmark and Norway and Sophie Amalie of Brunswick-Lüneburg. Sitter in 34 portraits.
- King Henry I (1068 or 1069-1135), Reigned 1100-35. Sitter associated with 19 portraits.
- King Henry II (1133-1189), Reigned 1154-89. Sitter associated with 22 portraits.
- King Henry III (1207-1272), Reigned 1216-72. Sitter associated with 34 portraits.
- King Henry IV (1367-1413), Reigned 1399-1413. Sitter associated with 30 portraits.
- King Henry V (1387-1422), Reigned 1413-22. Sitter associated with 32 portraits.
- King Henry VI (1421-1471), Reigned 1422-61 and 1470-71. Sitter associated with 39 portraits.
- King Henry VII (1457-1509), Reigned 1485-1509. Sitter associated with 66 portraits.
- King Henry VIII (1491-1547), Reigned 1509-47. Sitter associated with 98 portraits.
- Henry, Prince of Wales (1594-1612), Eldest son of James I. Sitter in 42 portraits.
- Isabella, Countess of Gloucester (circa 1160-1217), Queen of England and first consort of King John. Sitter associated with 1 portrait.
- Isabella of France (1292-1358), Queen of Edward II. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Isabella of France (1389-1409), Second consort of King Richard II. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- King James I of England and VI of Scotland (1566-1625), Reigned Scotland 1567-1625 and England 1603-25. Sitter associated with 199 portraits.
- King James II (1633-1701), Reigned 1685-88. Sitter associated with 134 portraits.
- Jane Seymour (1508 or 1509-1537), Third Queen of Henry VIII. Sitter associated with 14 portraits.
- Joanna of Navarre (1370?-1437), Queen of Henry IV. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- King John (1167-1216), Reigned 1199-1216. Sitter associated with 30 portraits.
- Katherine of Aragon (1485-1536), First Queen of Henry VIII. Sitter associated with 16 portraits.
- Katherine Parr (1512-1548), Sixth Queen of Henry VIII. Sitter associated with 11 portraits.
- Prince Edward, Duke of Kent and Strathearn (1767-1820), Soldier; son of George III; father of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 17 portraits.
- Princess Victoria, Duchess of Kent and Strathearn (1786-1861), Mother of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 33 portraits.
- Leopold I, King of the Belgians (1790-1865), Reigned 1831-65; husband of Princess Charlotte Augusta of Wales; uncle of Queen Victoria. Sitter in 23 portraits.
- Margaret of France (1279?-1318), Second consort of King Edward I. Sitter associated with 2 portraits.
- Queen Margaret of Anjou (1430-1482), Queen Consort of Henry VI. Sitter associated with 12 portraits.
- Henrietta Maria (1609-1669), Queen of Charles I. Sitter associated with 88 portraits.
- Queen Mary I (1516-1558), Reigned 1553-58; daughter of Henry VIII and Katherine of Aragon. Sitter associated with 50 portraits.
- Queen Mary II (1662-1694), Reigned with William III 1689-94. Sitter associated with 96 portraits.
- Mary, Queen of Scots (1542-1587), Reigned 1542-67. Sitter associated with 151 portraits.
- Mary of Modena (1658-1718), Queen of James II. Sitter associated with 56 portraits.
- Matilda of Flanders (circa 1031-1083), Queen consort of William the Conqueror. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Matilda (Edith, Mold, Matilda of Scotland) (1080-1118), Queen of England, first consort of King Henry I. Sitter associated with 3 portraits.
- Philippa of Hainault (1314?-1369), Queen of Edward III. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- King Richard I ('the Lionheart') (1157-1199), Reigned 1189-99. Sitter associated with 24 portraits.
- King Richard II (1367-1400), Reigned 1377-99. Sitter associated with 34 portraits.
- King Richard III (1452-1485), Reigned 1483-85. Sitter associated with 26 portraits.
- King Stephen (circa 1092-1154), Reigned 1135-54. Sitter associated with 22 portraits.
- Prince Augustus Frederick, Duke of Sussex (1773-1843), Son of King George III. Sitter associated with 35 portraits.
- Queen Victoria (1819-1901), Reigned 1837-1901. Sitter associated with 544 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits.
- King William I ('The Conqueror') (1027 or 1028-1087), Reigned 1066-87. Sitter associated with 23 portraits.
- King William II ('Rufus') (circa 1056-1100), Reigned 1087-1100. Sitter associated with 20 portraits.
- King William III (1650-1702), Reigned 1689-1702. Sitter associated with 142 portraits.
- King William IV (1765-1837), Reigned 1830-37. Sitter associated with 151 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Cannadine, Sir David (Introduction); Cooper, Tarnya; Stewart, Louise; MacGibbon, Rab; Cox, Paul; Peltz, Lucy; Moorhouse, Paul; Broadley, Rosie; Jascot-Gill, Sabina ., Tudors to Windsors: British Royal Portraits, 2018 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, Texas, USA, 7 October 2018 -3 February 2019. Bendigo Art Gallery, Australia, 16 March - 14 July 2019.), p. 12
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1862back to top
Current affairsThe Lancashire cotton famine, a depression in the north-west textile industry brought about by the American civil war, reaches its climax. With large numbers of mills closing after Confederate blockades halted cotton supplies, many Lancashire families were in receipt of relief.
Art and scienceLouis Pasteur and Claude Bernard carry out the first pasteurisation tests, the process of heating liquids at 55 degree Celsius or higher for short periods of time, destroying viruses and harmful organisms such as bacteria and yeast. .
Victor Hugo's novel Les Miserables is published, covering the Napoleonic wars. It traces the ex-convict Jean Valjean's character against wider questions of social and political justice, duty and love.
InternationalOtto Eduard Leopold Bismarck becomes Minister-President of Prussia, appointed by Wilhelm I after the liberal Diet refused to authorise funding for a proposed reorganisation of the army. Bismarck, intent on maintaining royal supremacy, engineers the Unification of Germany during his time in office.
John Hanning Speke claims to have found the source of the Nile, proving that the Victoria Nile issued from the north end of lake Victoria, over Ripon Falls.