sold by John Clark
line engraving, late 17th century
8 1/2 in. x 6 3/8 in. (215 mm x 162 mm) plate size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Artistback to top
- John Clark (1683-1736), Writing-master, engraver and printseller in Gray's Inn. Artist associated with 1 portrait.
Sittersback to top
- George Monck, 1st Duke of Albemarle (1608-1670), Soldier and statesman. Sitter associated with 49 portraits. Identify
- Catherine of Braganza (1638-1705), Queen of Charles II. Sitter associated with 64 portraits. Identify
- King Charles II (1630-1685), Reigned 1660-85. Sitter associated with 295 portraits. Identify
- King James II (1633-1701), Reigned 1685-88. Sitter associated with 134 portraits. Identify
- James Scott, Duke of Monmouth and Buccleuch (1649-1685), Son of Charles II and Lucy Walter. Sitter associated with 42 portraits. Identify
- Prince Rupert, Count Palatine (1619-1682), Soldier and patron of science; son of Frederick V, Elector Palatine and King of Bohemia and Elizabeth of Bohemia. Sitter associated with 45 portraits, Artist associated with 1 portrait. Identify
- King William III (1650-1702), Reigned 1689-1702. Sitter associated with 142 portraits. Identify
Events of 1670back to top
Current affairsCharles II mistress, Barbara Villiers, is created Duchess of Cleveland and granted Nonsuch Palace including its sizeable grounds.
Actress and royal mistress, Nell Gwyn, gives birth to Charles II's son, Charles, who would later become, Duke of St. Albans.
Art and scienceTragicomedy, The Forc'd Marriage, by Aphra Behn, staged by the Duke's Company, starts Behn's career as a professional writer. The writer may have been a royalist spy towards the end of the interregnum.
Poet laureate, John Dryden, is made historiographer royal, a post he would hold for nearly 20 years.
InternationalTerms of a secret treaty between Charles II and Louis XIV are brought by Henrietta, Duchess of Orleans during a visit to Dover; upon England supplying the majority of military power for a war against Holland and Charles's official conversion to Catholicism, France would assist financially.
Listen to a series of podcasts exploring the lives of pioneering women, past and present.
William Eggleston was closely associated with the alternative music scene in Memphis. Revisit our 2016 exhibition and listen to a special playlist.
Links to audio and transcripts of interviews with artists, sitters and historic recordings.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.