Queen Mary II
Queen Mary II
after Sir Peter Lely
mezzotint, circa 1686
13 1/8 in. x 10 in. (333 mm x 255 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Sitterback to top
- Queen Mary II (1662-1694), Reigned with William III 1689-94. Sitter associated with 97 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir Peter Lely (1618-1680), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 843 portraits, Sitter in 19 portraits.
Events of 1686back to top
Current affairsJames II, determined to re-establish Catholicism as a state religion, reverses proscription for Catholics to positions of authority, revives the ecclesiastic Court of High Commission, and admits to the privy council four Catholic lords, including John Belasyse, Baron Belasyse of Worlaby.
Art and scienceA collection of poems by painter and poet, Anne Killigrew are posthumously published under the title, Poems by Mrs. Anne Killigrew'. A maid of honour to the queen, Mary of Modena, Killigrew was known for her beauty and virtuous nature.
InternationalThe League of Augsburg, founded by a coalition of European countries convened by the Holy Roman Emperor Leopold I, opposed the expansionist plans of France.
James II creates the Dominion of New England, uniting the administrations of several English colonies in North America.
- Painted Ladies: Women at the Court of Charles II
- Alexander Browne and Richard Tompson
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Duchess of Cleveland Appeal
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- Barbara Villiers
- Catherine Sedley
- 2018 Anniversaries
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints