King William III
King William III
published by Richard Tompson, after Sir Peter Lely
13 3/8 in. x 9 7/8 in. (340 mm x 250 mm) plate size, small margins
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Sitterback to top
- King William III (1650-1702), Reigned 1689-1702. Sitter associated with 142 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Related worksback to top
Events of 1678back to top
Current affairsInformer, Titus Oates, concocts the Popish Plot, an elaborate tale of a Catholic conspiracy to murder the king, enthrone James, Duke of York and catholicize England. The story provokes panic and persecution of Catholics.
Extension of the Test Act (1673) excludes Catholics from both the House of Lords and Parliament.
Art and scienceWhile imprisoned under the Conventicle Act, author John Bunyan, writes the first part of Pilgrims Progress, considered to be one of the most important religious works in the English language.
Poet laureate, John Dryden, publishes All for Love, an adaptation of William Shakespeare's Anthony and Cleopatra.
InternationalLast major conflict of the Franco-Dutch war, battle of St. Denis, is fiercely fought despite a peace treaty signed days earlier between the two countries. Prince William of Orange, leading Dutch forces, fights alongside his confidant, Hans Willem Bentinck, and an English force, under James Scott, Duke of Monmouth.
- Painted Ladies: Women at the Court of Charles II
- Alexander Browne and Richard Tompson
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Duchess of Cleveland Appeal
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- Barbara Villiers
- Catherine Sedley
- 2018 Anniversaries
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Prints catalogue Tompson - 3
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints