by Peter Gidal
16mm silent, black and white film, 1969
Transferred from National Portrait Gallery Reference Collection, 2007
Sittersback to top
- Francis Bacon (1909-1992), Painter. Sitter in 46 portraits.
- John Blake, Sculptor. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Rufus Collins (1935-), American actor and director. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Jim Dine (1935-), American artist. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Stephen Dwoskin (1939-), Film-maker. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Marianne Faithfull (1946-), Singer and actress. Sitter in 24 portraits.
- Jane Furst (circa 1944-), Artist; friend of Peter Gidal. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- David Gale (1936-1991), Actor. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Andrew Garnett-Lawson, Set designer. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Carol Garnett-Lawson, Sculptor. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Richard Hamilton (1922-2011), Painter. Sitter in 13 portraits, Artist of 2 portraits.
- David Hockney (1937-), Artist. Sitter in 48 portraits, Artist associated with 13 portraits.
- Marsha Hunt (1947-), Model, singer, actress and writer. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Vivian Kurtz, Actress. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Gregory Markopoulos (1928-1992), American film-maker. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Dieter Meier (1945-), Swiss musician and performance artist. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Thelonious Monk (1917-1982), American jazz pianist. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Adrian Munsey, Film Score Composer and friend of Peter Gidal. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Claes Thure Oldenburg (1929-), Sculptor. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Anita Pallenberg (1944-2017), Model, actress and fashion designer. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Prenai, Friend of Peter Gidal. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Patrick Procktor (1936-2003), Artist. Sitter in 21 portraits, Artist of 1 portrait.
- Winston Roeth (1945-), Artist. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Carolee Schneemann (1939-2019), Performance artist and painter. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Rosie Schwarz, Friend of Peter Gidal. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Leslie Smith, Friend of Peter Gidal. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Linda Thorson (Linda Robinson) (1947-), Canadian actress. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Peter Dennis Blandford ('Pete') Townshend (1945-), Musician; singer, guitarist and composer for The Who; publisher and author. Sitter in 17 portraits.
- Frances Vaughan, Friend of Peter Gidal. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Charles Robert ('Charlie') Watts (1941-), Drummer for the Rolling Stones. Sitter in 29 portraits.
- Bill West, Friend of Peter Gidal. Sitter in 1 portrait.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Various contributors, National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain, 2014, p. 283
Events of 1969back to top
Current affairsThe Open University is established, based on the vision of Michael Young. Its aims were to offer the chance to study for higher education qualifications on a part time and distance learning basis, giving people who were unable to attend a traditional university because of family, work commitments or disability the opportunity to achieve university degrees.
Art and scienceThe comedy sketch show Monty Python's Flying Circus is first broadcast. The Pythons performed surreal sketches that reinvented the comedy tradition, eschewing punch lines for a stream-of-consciousness structure and incongruous authorial interventions: 'and now for something completely different'.
Kenneth Tynan's Oh! Calcutta amuses and shocks audiences with full nudity on stage, taking advantage of the recent end to censorship laws.
InternationalNeil Armstrong takes 'one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind' when he becomes the first man on the moon.
Concorde makes its first supersonic flight. The plane was designed, developed and manufactured by a joint treaty between the French and English governments.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- David Hockney: Drawing from Life
From 27 February 2020
- Britain 1960-1990
- Artists and sitters
- Bill Brandt: Portraits 1982
- Photographer in Focus: Mayotte Magnus
- Twentieth Century Printmakers
- Portrait of an Artist
- David Hockney Portraits
- Private View
- Icons and Idols: Commissioning Contemporary Portraits
- Five Double Portraits: New work by David Hockney
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Photographs 1965-2006
- Lucian Freud in the Studio
- Blow Up: Sixties Photography Exposed
- Michael Ward - NPG x88843
- She Bop
- Jim Dine - The Artist's face
- David Hockney: Drawing from Life
From 2 October 2020