1 of 2 portraits of Stephen Dwoskin
by Peter Gidal
16mm silent, black and white film, 1969
Transferred from National Portrait Gallery Reference Collection, 2007
Sittersback to top
- Francis Bacon (1909-1992), Painter. Sitter in 47 portraits. Identify
- John Blake, Sculptor. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Rufus Collins (1935-), Actor and director. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Jim Dine (1935-), Artist. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Stephen Dwoskin (1939-), Film-maker. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Marianne Faithfull (1946-), Singer and actress. Sitter in 24 portraits. Identify
- Jane Furst (circa 1944-), Artist; friend of Peter Gidal. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- David Gale (1936-1991), Actor. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Andrew Garnett-Lawson, Set designer. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Carol Garnett-Lawson, Sculptor. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Richard Hamilton (1922-2011), Painter. Sitter in 13 portraits, Artist or producer of 2 portraits. Identify
- David Hockney (1937-), Artist. Sitter in 49 portraits, Artist or producer associated with 14 portraits. Identify
- Marsha Hunt (1947-), Model, singer, actress and writer. Sitter in 6 portraits. Identify
- Vivian Kurtz, Actress. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Gregory Markopoulos (1928-1992), Film-Maker. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Dieter Meier (1945-), Swiss musician and performance artist. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Thelonious Monk (1917-1982), Jazz pianist. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Adrian Munsey, Film Score Composer and friend of Peter Gidal. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Claes Thure Oldenburg (1929-), Sculptor. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Anita Pallenberg (1944-2017), Model, actress and fashion designer. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Prenai, Friend of Peter Gidal. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Patrick Procktor (1936-2003), Artist. Sitter in 21 portraits, Artist or producer of 1 portrait. Identify
- Winston Roeth (1945-), Artist. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Carolee Schneemann (1939-2019), Performance artist and painter. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Rosie Schwarz, Friend of Peter Gidal. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Leslie Smith, Friend of Peter Gidal. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Linda Thorson (Linda Robinson) (1947-), Actress. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Peter Dennis Blandford ('Pete') Townshend (1945-), Musician; singer, guitarist and composer for The Who; publisher and author. Sitter in 21 portraits. Identify
- Frances Vaughan, Friend of Peter Gidal. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Charles Robert ('Charlie') Watts (1941-2021), Drummer for the Rolling Stones. Sitter in 38 portraits. Identify
- Bill West, Friend of Peter Gidal. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
Linked publicationsback to top
- Various contributors, National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain, 2014, p. 283
Events of 1969back to top
Current affairsThe Open University is established, based on the vision of Michael Young. Its aims were to offer the chance to study for higher education qualifications on a part time and distance learning basis, giving people who were unable to attend a traditional university because of family, work commitments or disability the opportunity to achieve university degrees.
Art and scienceThe comedy sketch show Monty Python's Flying Circus is first broadcast. The Pythons performed surreal sketches that reinvented the comedy tradition, eschewing punch lines for a stream-of-consciousness structure and incongruous authorial interventions: 'and now for something completely different'.
Kenneth Tynan's Oh! Calcutta amuses and shocks audiences with full nudity on stage, taking advantage of the recent end to censorship laws.
InternationalNeil Armstrong takes 'one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind' when he becomes the first man on the moon.
Concorde makes its first supersonic flight. The plane was designed, developed and manufactured by a joint treaty between the French and English governments.
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.
- Artists and sitters
- Photographer in Focus: Mayotte Magnus
- Britain 1960-1990
- Bill Brandt: Portraits 1982
- Twentieth Century Printmakers
- Portrait of an Artist
- Private View
- David Hockney Portraits
- Five Double Portraits: New work by David Hockney
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Icons and Idols: Commissioning Contemporary Portraits
- Lucian Freud in the Studio
- Photographs 1965-2006
- Blow Up: Sixties Photography Exposed
- Michael Ward - NPG x88843
- She Bop
- Jim Dine - The Artist's face
- Icons and Identities: Shakespeare to Winehouse
Until 17 July
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.