1 portrait of Eric Clapton
by Robert Whitaker
cibachrome print, 1967
16 in. x 11 in. (407 mm x 281 mm)
Sitterback to top
- Eric Patrick Clapton (1945-), Musician, guitarist, singer, songwriter and member of 'Cream' and 'Yardbirds'. Sitter in 8 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Robert Whitaker (1939-2011), Photographer. Artist of 15 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
Linked publicationsback to top
- , p. 164
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 125
- Whitaker, Robert, Beatles to Bowie: the 60s exposed, 2009 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 15 October 2009 - 24 January 2010), p. 164
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Beatles to Bowie: the 60s exposed (15 October 2009 - 24 January 2010)
Events of 1967back to top
Current affairsHarold Wilson decides to devalue the pound by nearly 15% in order to ' break out from the straitjacket' of boom and bust economics. The decision was controversial and prompted Wilson to reassure the public that the 'pound in your pocket' would not be worth any less.
Art and scienceThe Beatles release Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, with a record sleeve designed by pop artist, Peter Blake. The band's musical experimentation and colourful new look was an example of psychedelic, and the LP is often regarded as one of the first concept albums.
InternationalChe Guevara is captured and executed in Bolivia. The guerrilla leader and revolutionary icon was hunted down by the CIA and captured and shot by Bolivian Special Forces. He had been leading Bolivian insurgents in an attempt to overthrow the government.
Exhibitions and displays
- Out of the Shadows: Portraits by the Douglas Brothers
Until 28 January 2018
Tell us more
Help us conserve a portrait of a female adventurer, poet and medical pioneer