A Compleat Collection...
2 of 5 portraits of Joseph Caryl
A Compleat Collection...
after Unknown artist
line engraving, mid 17th century
5 7/8 in. x 3 3/4 in. (149 mm x 95 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Sittersback to top
- Simeon Ashe (died 1662), Nonconformist divine. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- William Bates (1625-1699), Presbyterian divine. Sitter in 13 portraits.
- Richard Baxter (1615-1691), Puritan divine. Sitter in 25 portraits.
- Beerman (active mid-late 17th century), Religious controversialist. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Thomas Brooks (1608-1680), Independent minister. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Daniel Bull (baptised circa 1633-1697 or 1698), Clergyman and ejected minister. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Edmund Calamy (1600-1666), Clergyman and ejected minister. Sitter in 14 portraits.
- Joseph Caryl (1602-1673), Clergyman and ejected minister. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Thomas Case (baptised 1598-1682), Clergyman and ejected minister. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- John Collins (1632?-1687), Congregational minister. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Samuel Cradock (circa 1621-1706), Congregational divine. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Thomas Jacombe (1622-1687), Nonconformist divine. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- William Jenkyn (1613-1685), Ejected minister. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Thomas Lambe (active 1629-1661), Baptist preacher and soapboiler. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Thomas Lye (Lee, Leigh) (1621-1684), Nonconformist minister. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Thomas Manton (1620-1677), Presbyterian divine. Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Matthew Meade (Mead) (1629-1699), Nonconformist minister of Stepney. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- James Nalton (1600?-1662), Protestant minister, 'the weeping prophet'. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Matthew Newcomen (circa 1610-1669), Clergyman, ejected minister and religious controversialist. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Pledger (active 17th century), Religious Controversialist. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- William Sclater (1638-1717?), Nonjuring divine. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Lazurus Seaman (died 1675), Clergyman and ejected minister. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Ralph Venning (1621?-1674), Nonconformist divine. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Thomas Watson (circa 1620-1686), Puritan divine. Sitter associated with 9 portraits.
Events of 1630back to top
Current affairsCharles I's first surviving child, Charles, is born in St. James's Palace. He is baptised by the Anglican Bishop of London, William Laud, and brought up in the care of the Protestant Mary Curzon, Countess of Dorset.
Art and scienceThe Cottonian Library, containing the greatest resource of Old English and Middle English literature, founded by antiquary and anti-royalist, Sir Robert Bruce Cotton, is confiscated by the authorities.
InternationalPhilip IV of Spain and Charles I sign the Treaty of Madrid, ending hostilities between the two countries. Spanish diplomat, Cesare Alessandro Scaglia, assists with the conclusion of the peace deal.
German, Protestant land is regained from Catholic allies on account of Swedish intervention in the Thirty Years' War.
Enter our Jubilee family competition
Submit your family’s recreation of a Royal portrait to win some Jubilee goodiesEnter now
Develop your art skills
Discover our BP Next Generation short films made by artists. Follow step by step guides in drawing and painting techniques.
Hold Still photography workshop
Reflect on your own experiences of lockdown through this easy-to-do from home, photographic exercise.
Draw Like a Renaissance Master
Revisit The Encounter exhibition and learn about Renaissance and Baroque drawing methods and materials.
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.