The Bishops' Council
The Bishops' Council
after Unknown artist
mezzotint, 1688 or after
7 in. x 5 1/2 in. (177 mm x 139 mm) plate size; 12 3/4 in. x 10 1/8 in. (324 mm x 256 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- Heneage Finch, 1st Earl of Aylesford (1647?-1719), Lord Chancellor. Sitter in 11 portraits.
- Sir Creswell Levinz (1627-1701), Judge. Sitter in 12 portraits.
- Sir Francis Pemberton (1625-1697), Judge. Sitter in 11 portraits.
- Sir Henry Pollexfen (1632-1691), Judge and politician. Sitter in 14 portraits.
- Sir Robert Sawyer (baptised 1633-1692), Lawyer and Speaker of the House of Commons. Sitter associated with 11 portraits.
- John Somers, Baron Somers (1651-1716), Lord Chancellor. Sitter associated with 38 portraits.
- Sir George Treby (1644?-1700), Judge. Sitter associated with 12 portraits.
Events of 1688back to top
Current affairsThe Glorious Revolution. Senior statesmen, increasingly resentful of James's assault upon liberties of his subjects, invite William III of Orange to invade England. Their action is spurred on by the acquittal of seven bishops who refused to read James II's declaration of indulgence from their pulpits. James flees into exile.
Art and scienceGeorge Savile, Marquess of Halifax, publishes his political tract, The Character of a Trimmer, written 1685, which urged Charles II to shake off his brother's influence.
Writer, Aphra Behn, publishes Oroonoko, often considered to be an abolitionist treatise.
InternationalNine Years' War. Threatened by William III's invasion of England and possible alliance of Protestant European states under his helm, Louis XIV sends French troops into the Rhineland. This pre-emptive strike ignites a war of attrition, and institutes a coalition of European states united in attempting to halt expansionist France.
Exhibitions and displays
- Life, Death and Memory
Until 4 February 2018
- Portrait of the Day: Henry VIII & Katherine of Aragon
17 December, 12:30
Tell us more
Help us conserve a portrait of a female adventurer, poet and medical pioneer