Mary of Modena
4 of 4 portraits by Moses Pitt
Mary of Modena
by Peter Vanderbank (Vandrebanc), published by Moses Pitt, after Sir Peter Lely
line engraving, published circa 1680-1683
18 7/8 in. x 11 1/8 in. (479 mm x 283 mm) plate size; 19 1/2 in. x 12 3/8 in. (495 mm x 314 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1949
Sitterback to top
- Mary of Modena (1658-1718), Queen of James II. Sitter associated with 56 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Sir Peter Lely (1618-1680), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 843 portraits, Sitter in 19 portraits.
- Moses Pitt (active 1668-1691), Bookseller and printer. Artist associated with 4 portraits.
- Peter Vanderbank (Vandrebanc) (1649-1697), Engraver. Artist associated with 76 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (ye Angel in St Pauls Churchyard, London)
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1680back to top
Current affairsWilliam Howard, Viscount Stafford, is convicted of impeachment and beheaded on account of his alleged involvement in the Popish Plot.
Whigs' sponsorship of a pope-burning procession, for the second consecutive year, supports their campaign to exclude James, Duke of York from the throne.
Art and scienceWriter, John Bunyan, publishes, The Life and Death of Mr. Badman. Novelistic in form and conceived as a dialogue between two gentlemen, the book was intended as a sequel to the first part of The Pilgrim's Progress.
InternationalRevelations surface of a Catholic uprising in Ireland with French support. The government launches an inquiry, ultimately leading to the execution of Oliver Plunket, Archbishop of Armagh.
Secretary of State, Robert Spencer, in adopting an anti-French foreign policy, forges a defensive Anglo-Spanish treaty while seeking an alliance with the Dutch.
Become a Member
Enjoy access to special events, discounts on the Gallery online shop, supporters’ updates and much more
Bringing people together by sharing the portraits and stories of the men and women who have shaped our nation.
Sign up to receive information on exhibitions, collections and activities of the National Portrait Gallery, including special offers, shop products, and exclusive competitions.
- Barbara Villiers
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Duchess of Cleveland Appeal
- Alexander Browne and Richard Tompson
- Painted Ladies: Women at the Court of Charles II
- Catherine Sedley
- 2018 Anniversaries
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.