2 of 3 portraits of Isabella Stuart
after Sir Peter Lely
mezzotint, late 1670s
11 3/4 in. x 9 3/4 in. (298 mm x 248 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Sitterback to top
- Isabella Stuart (1676-1680), Daughter of James II and Mary of Modena. Sitter in 3 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir Peter Lely (1618-1680), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 843 portraits, Sitter in 19 portraits.
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1677back to top
Current affairsSpeech by George Villiers, Duke of Buckingham, arguing that the prolonged prorogation of the Cavalier Parliament rendered it dissolved, sends him and three others, including Philip Wharton, Baron Wharton, to the Tower.
Stadtholder, Prince William of Orange, marries Mary, daughter of James, Duke of York and Anne Hyde.
Art and scienceThe Natural History of Oxfordshire, (1676) by naturalist and antiquary Robert Plot, secures his election to the Royal Society in December and two years later, appointment as curator of objects to the objects bequeathed to Oxford University by Elias Ashmole.
InternationalDespite his dismissal from court in 1669, royalist soldier and statesman, James Butler, Duke of Ormond, is reappointed lord lieutenant of Ireland.
- Barbara Villiers
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Duchess of Cleveland Appeal
- Alexander Browne and Richard Tompson
- Painted Ladies: Women at the Court of Charles II
- Catherine Sedley
- 2018 Anniversaries
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints