King William III
39 of 142 portraits of King William III
King William III
by Jacobus Allardt, after Unknown artist
line engraving, circa 1672-1688
20 5/8 in. x 16 1/4 in. (524 mm x 414 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1957
Sitterback to top
- King William III (1650-1702), Reigned 1689-1702. Sitter associated with 142 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1672back to top
Current affairsStop of the Exchequer, initiated principally by politician Thomas Clifford, later lord treasurer, causes financial panic as payment of Crown debts are suspended and redirected to fund the military for the ensuing Anglo-Dutch war.
The declaration of indulgence suspends the penal laws against both Catholics and Nonconformists.
Art and sciencePhysician, Thomas Willis, writes 'De anima brutorum' (The Souls of Brutes), one of the earliest comprehensive publications on neurology and the brain.
Mathematician, Sir Isaac Newton, is made a fellow of the Royal Society. Soon after, he presents to the Society his revolutionary theory of colours.
InternationalWar with Holland. First naval battle at Solebay, during which Admiral Edward Montagu dies, proves inconclusive. However, occupation of Holland by French armies and general success of the English navy, initially overwhelms the Dutch. Amid upheaval, the Dutch rally under their new captain-general, William III, Prince of Orange.
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Alexander Browne and Richard Tompson
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints