19 of 278 portraits matching these criteria:
- place 'Hampshire'
by Unknown photographer
vintage snapshot print, mid 1930s
4 3/4 in. x 3 1/8 in. (120 mm x 78 mm) image size
Sitterback to top
- (Martha) Beatrice Webb (née Potter), Baroness Passfield (1858-1943), Social reformer, economist and diarist. Sitter in 76 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, Hampshire (sitter's home, Passfield Corner, Hampshire)
Events of 1933back to top
Current affairsSir Norman Angell is awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. Angell was recognised for his book, Europe's Optical Illusion (or The Great Illusion) first published in 1910 and updated in 1933, which argued that war between modern powers was futile as neither the looser or victor would gain economically from it.
Art and scienceBritish Art embraces abstraction with the establishment of 'Unit 1', the first group of British Artists dedicated to producing abstract art. The critic Herbert Read formed the group by bringing together the artists Ben Nicholson, Barbara Hepworth, Henry Moore, Paul Nash and the architect, Wells Coates.
The Duveen Wing extension at the National Portrait Gallery is opened by King George V.
InternationalThe Nazi party comes to power in Germany as part of a coalition government with Hitler as Chancellor. Over the next year, the party consolidated its position through the Enabling Act (allowing them to pass legislation without the support of the coalition), by banning and purging opposition, and by making Hitler Führer in 1934: granting him the combined powers of Chancellor and President.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- Photography: A Living Art - Then and Now
Until 29 September
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- George Augustus Sala
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Lives and Letters
- Lillah McCarthy
- Portraits of John Nash
- Joseph Conrad
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Rupert Brooke: War Poet
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Jean Simmons: a life in pictures
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Rebel women