2 of 16 portraits of Andrew Marvell
after Unknown artist
line engraving, published 1681
8 3/4 in. x 6 3/8 in. (221 mm x 161 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Sitterback to top
- Andrew Marvell (1621-1678), Poet and politician; MP for Kingston-upon-Hull. Sitter associated with 16 portraits.
Events of 1681back to top
Current affairsThird Exclusion Parliament meets in Oxford avoiding disruption in Whig-dominated London. Charles II refuses Exclusionists's proposal that James Scott, Duke of Monmouth, his illegitimate son with Lucy Walter, should succeed to the throne, replacing James, Duke of York.
Prominent Exclusionist, Anthony Ashley-Cooper, is arrested on suspicion of high treason.
Art and scienceNatural philosopher, Samuel Morland is appointed 'Master of Mechanicks' to the king having transformed Windsor Castle's water system.
Architect, Christopher Wren, is commissioned to design the Royal Hospital, Chelsea.
Poet laureate, John Dryden, writes political satire Absalom and Achitophel, focusing upon the trial of Anthony Ashley-Cooper.
InternationalKing of France, Louis XIV, concerned by England's instability over the exclusion crisis, offers Charles II a subsidy, bolstering the king in his dealings with Parliament. In return, England agrees to withdraw from entering an anti-French alliance with Spain; Laurence Hyde, Lord of the Treasury, signs the accord with France.
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints