9 of 14 portraits of William Etty
by John Watkins, after Unknown photographer
albumen carte-de-visite, circa 1860s (1849)
3 3/8 in. x 2 1/4 in. (87 mm x 58 mm) image size
Given by the Art Fund, 1916
Sitterback to top
- William Etty (1787-1849), Painter. Sitter in 14 portraits, Artist associated with 4 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Events of 1849back to top
Current affairsBenjamin Disraeli becomes Conservative leader in the House of Commons.
Bedford College for Women is founded, following on from the foundation of Queen's College for Women the previous year.
Henry Mayhew, the social researcher and reform advocate, begins publishing his extensive statistical survey into the living conditions of urban communities, London Labour and the London Poor in the Morning Chronicle.
Art and scienceWith the death of his father Johann Strauss the Elder, Johann Baptist Strauss, the Austrian violinist and composer combines his and his father's orchestra, becoming known as 'the Waltz King'. His famous waltzes include The Blue Danube (1867). Dante Gabriel Rossetti paints his sister, the poet Christina, in The Girlhood of Mary Virgin.
InternationalRome is briefly proclaimed a republic after the papal states are overthrown by Italian republicans. Napoleon's dependency on French Catholics leads him however to help restore papal authority. The restoration of Austrian military rule in Italy further darkens hopes of a self-ruling Italian nationhood.
Communist riots are suppressed in Paris.
Exhibitions and displays
- Photography: A Public Art, 1840 - 1939
Until 7 October
- For Valour: Recipients of the Victoria Cross, 1914 - 18
Until 24 June
- Votes for Women: Pioneers
Until 2 December
- Picturing Friendship
From 30 June
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Lillah McCarthy
- Portraits of John Nash
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Rupert Brooke: War Poet
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Jean Simmons: a life in pictures
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Rebel women
- Rebel women test