by Unknown photographer
albumen print, 20 June 1855
3 3/8 in. x 2 1/2 in. (86 mm x 62 mm)
Sitterback to top
- Henrietta Rintoul (circa 1825-1904), Daughter of Robert Stephen Rintoul; amateur photographer. Sitter in 7 portraits, Artist of 1 portrait.
Events of 1855back to top
Current affairsPalmerston becomes Prime Minister, leading a coalition government after Lord Aberdeen loses a vote of confidence over his handling of the Crimean war. Known by the nickname 'Lord Pumicestone' for his abrasive style, Palmerston is the oldest prime minister in history to take up the post for the first time at the age of 71.
Stamp duty on newspapers is abolished, creating the mass media market in the UK as newspapers became more widely and cheaply available.
Art and scienceFollowing a trip through the Holy Land to the Dead Sea, William Holman Hunt begins his symbolically-laden painting The Scapegoat.
John Millais marries Effie Gray, previously John Ruskin's wife, after their marriage was annulled that year.
The social theorist and sociologist Herbert Spencer and philosopher G. H. Lewes, publishes Principles of Pyschology, exploring a physiological basis to psychology.
InternationalThe Fall of Sebastopol in the Crimean war, as Russia retreats, and the exhaustion of the Turkish alliance means the war nears its end. Despite being rebuffed by Florence Nightingale's team of nurses, Jamaican-born nurse Mary Seacole travels to the Crimea, opening a 'British Hotel' for sick and injured soldiers. She gains significant attention and praise for her nursing work.
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- George Augustus Sala
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Lives and Letters
- Lillah McCarthy
- Portraits of John Nash
- Joseph Conrad
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Rupert Brooke: War Poet
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Jean Simmons: a life in pictures
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Rebel women
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints