John Lucas Tupper
1 portrait of John Lucas Tupper
John Lucas Tupper
by Unknown photographer
albumen print, mid 1850s
3 1/8 in. x 2 1/8 in. (79 mm x 55 mm)
Sitterback to top
- John Lucas Tupper (circa 1824-1879), Sculptor and anatomical draughtsman, contributor to The Germ. Sitter in 1 portrait.
Events of 1853back to top
Current affairsBritain and America sign a treaty establishing an International Copyright agreement. Dickens, whose Bleak House is also published this year, was a particularly outspoken critic of these laws, as his works were freely published in America without any protection over copyright or royalties. He had lobbied the American Congress over the issue during his North American reading tour of 1842.
Art and scienceDavid Livingstone makes a six month journey from the Zambezi river to the west coast of Africa.
Harriet Martineau translates The Positive Philosophy of August Comte. A scientific approach to understanding the natural world and human and social relations, positivism has an important influence on the development of the social sciences.
Holman Hunt exhibits his The Light of the World
InternationalDiplomatic row over Napoleon's call to the Turkish empire to restore Roman Catholic rights in the Holy Land. Russia asserts her role of protecting the rights of all Christians in the Ottoman empire; French and British fleets are dispatched to the Dardanelles. The Turkish sultan, declaring that he will look after the rights of Christians, heightens tension, and the Crimean war begins with Turkey declaring war on Russia.
Exhibitions and displays
- Photography: A Public Art, 1840 - 1939
Until 7 October
- For Valour: Recipients of the Victoria Cross, 1914 - 18
Until 24 June
- Votes for Women: Pioneers
Until 2 December
- Picturing Friendship
From 30 June
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Lillah McCarthy
- Portraits of John Nash
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Rupert Brooke: War Poet
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Jean Simmons: a life in pictures
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Rebel women
- Rebel women test