by Wouter Binneman, after Unknown artist
line engraving, published 1679
5 3/8 in. x 3 1/4 in. (137 mm x 82 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Sitterback to top
- Robert Chamberlain (1632?-1696), Merchant and mathematician. Sitter in 2 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Events of 1679back to top
Current affairsCavalier Parliament dissolves over the exclusion crisis - removing James, Duke of York from the line of succession. First of three 'Exclusion Parliaments' assembles; William Russell, Lord Bedford, member of the nascent Whig party, introduces an Exclusion Bill.
James Scott, Duke of Monmouth, suppresses rebellious Scottish covenanters at Bothwell Bridge.
Art and scienceAn adaptation of Sophocles's Oedipus is published, a collaboration between poet laureate, John Dryden and playwright, Nathaniel Lee. It becomes a hugely successful stage production during the Restoration period.
Composer, Henry Purcell, becomes organist of Westminster Abbey.
InternationalThe daughter of Henrietta Anne of England and Philippe, Duke of Orleans, Marie Louise d'Orleans, marries Charles II of Spain. It was hoped the marriage would improve relations between France and Spain who had previously been at war over the Spanish Netherlands.
Do, draw and make!
Do, draw and make!
From building dens to food faces – enjoy our Playful Portraits activities and find out about some brilliant people!
Activities for children and families inspired by three healthcare heroes from our Collection.
Downloadable and web based resources to support learning at home linked to art, history, citizenship and literacy.
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.