6 of 16 portraits by Roger Perry
by Roger Perry
bromide fibre print, 1970s
9 1/4 in. x 6 1/8 in. (234 mm x 156 mm) image size
Given by Colin Marr, 2007
Sitterback to top
- Angus McBean (1904-1990), Photographer. Sitter in 79 portraits, Artist associated with 268 portraits.
Events of 1970back to top
Current affairsEdward 'Ted' Heath wins a surprise victory for the Conservative party at the general election, becoming Prime Minister. Opinion polls had predicted a comfortable Labour victory, but with a failing economy, the Tories snatched a narrow last minute majority.
Art and scienceGermaine Greer publishes The Female Eunuch, an influential feminist text arguing that women's sexuality and capacity for action are repressed by the family and their roles in society. Greer suggested that women should get to know their bodies and become empowered by their sexuality. The book was an international best seller.
InternationalFour aircraft are hijacked by Palestinian terrorists. The planes were landed in Cairo, Jordan and London and the hijackers demanded the release of Political Prisoners in exchange for the hostages. Several prisoners were returned and three of the planes were blown up after most of the hostages were release.
Four students are shot dead by national guardsmen during a protest against the Vietnam War in America.
- The World's Most Photographed
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Surreal and Solarised Photographs
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
- Portraits of Alec Guinness
- Blow Up: Sixties Photography Exposed
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Faces of Wales