Sir Peter Lely
Sir Peter Lely
by John Corner, after Sir Peter Lely
line engraving, published 1816
10 3/8 in. x 8 in. (262 mm x 202 mm) plate size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Sitterback to top
- Sir Peter Lely (1618-1680), Portrait painter. Sitter in 19 portraits, Artist associated with 843 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Events of 1816back to top
Current affairsMarriage of Princess Charlotte to Leopold I.
Income Tax abolished.
Unsuccessful Spa Fields Riot led by the ultra-radical Arthur Thistlewood which aimed to attack the Tower of London and the Bank of England and set up a ruling 'Committee of Public Safety' following the French model.
Art and scienceJane Austen publishes Emma.
Leeds and Liverpool Canal completed.
InternationalBritish Government buys the Elgin Marbles, taken from the Acropolis in Athens by Thomas Bruce, 7th Earl of Elgin, and brought to England between 1803 and 1812. Their acquisition prompts support from Thomas Lawrence and Benjamin Robert Haydon and condemnation from Lord Byron.
Slave rebellion fails in Barbados; four hundred slaves are executed.
- Painted Ladies: Women at the Court of Charles II
- Alexander Browne and Richard Tompson
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Duchess of Cleveland Appeal
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- Barbara Villiers
- Catherine Sedley
- 2018 Anniversaries
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints