The Darling Family
830 of 830 portraits matching these criteria:
- set matching 'Bassano 1933'
The Darling Family
by Bassano Ltd
whole-plate film negative, 4 August 1937
Given by Bassano & Vandyk Studios, 1974
Sittersback to top
- Robert Charles Henry Darling, 2nd Baron Darling (1919-2003), Deputy Lieutenant. Sitter associated with 7 portraits.
- Eleanor Joan Martin Darling (née Powell, later Mrs Dickson) (1898-1981), Former wife of Hon. John Clive Darling, and later wife of Francis Cyprian Dickson; daughter of Henry Powell. Sitter in 8 portraits.
- Hon. James Weyland Darling (1922-1941), Served in World War II. Sitter associated with 7 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Bassano Ltd (active 1901-1962), Photographers. Artist associated with 42745 portraits.
Events of 1937back to top
Current affairsGeorge VI becomes king. The younger brother of Edward VIII was crowned on the 12th May and the coronation was broadcast to Britain and the Empire on the radio. Edward becomes the Duke of Windsor, although the rank of 'Royal Highness' is not extended to Wallis Simpson.
Neville Chamberlain becomes Prime Minister following Baldwin's retirement.
Art and scienceRoland Penrose organises a tour of Picasso's painting Guernica to the UK. The painting, which shows the horrors of the Spanish Civil War, went on display at the Whitechapel Art Gallery in East London.
A new synthetic fabric is invented and named after New York and London: Nylon.
InternationalCommercial airship travel is brought to an end with the 'Hindenberg Disaster'. The German airship exploded while landing in New Jersey. The radio broadcaster Herbert Morrison's reaction has become legendary: 'Oh, the humanity!'
Japan invades China, killing about 25,000. Japanese Troops committed numerous atrocities against soldiers and civilians in what became known as the 'Rape of Nanking'.
- Athletes and Olympians
- Margery Allingham
- Born in 1856
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Centenary of flight
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Learn more
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Classical Music and the First World War
- Bassano Studio Portrait Collection
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints