Henry Paget King-Fretts
Henry Paget King-Fretts
by Bassano Ltd
whole-plate film negative, 13 June 1940
Given by Bassano & Vandyk Studios, 1974
Sitterback to top
- Henry Paget King-Fretts, Army officer; son of Ernest Henry King-Fretts. Sitter in 1 portrait.
Artistback to top
- Bassano Ltd (active 1901-1962), Photographers. Artist associated with 42745 portraits.
Events of 1940back to top
Current affairsFollowing the German invasion of the Netherlands, Belgium and France, Neville Chamberlain resigns and Churchill is appointed Prime Minister making the famous speech: 'I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, and sweat.'
The Battle of Britain ends the Phoney War with Germany's attack on the nation from the air. Britain's cities, airbases and ports are bombed during the Blitz.
Art and scienceWith little access to sculpture materials, and a bombed out studio Henry Moore starts experimenting with drawings of war subjects. After taking shelter in a London Underground station during an air raid Moore was inspired to begin a series of Shelter Drawings. With a commission from the War Artists Advisory Committee, headed by Kenneth Clark, these became some of the most popular example of official war art.
InternationalBritain's attempt to defend France against German invasion by landing troops on the French coast ends in failure; France surrenders and Britain is left to face the Axis Powers alone. While the Dunkirk Landings were a failure, the heroic rescue of troops by a fleet of English civilian boats was a victory for morale, and the 'Dunkirk Spirit' came to stand as an emblem of British triumph in adversity.
Visit From Your Armchair
Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize
An online exhibition celebrating the very best in contemporary portrait photography.
Explore our community photography project, which presents a personal record of the UK during lockdown.
Sculptures in 360°
See sculptures and fascinating objects from our Collection from all angles.
David Hockney: Drawing from Life
Watch highlights from our special exhibition, which had to close early in March 2020 due to lockdown.
- Athletes and Olympians
- Margery Allingham
- Born in 1856
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Centenary of flight
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Learn more
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Classical Music and the First World War
- Bassano Studio Portrait Collection
- LGBTQ+ History Month
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints