1 portrait of Nell Gwyn
by Schenecker, published by John White, published by John Scott, after Sir Peter Lely
stipple engraving, published 1 July 1808
8 1/4 in. x 5 1/2 in. (210 mm x 140 mm) plate size; 10 1/8 in. x 6 3/8 in. (257 mm x 162 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Sitterback to top
- Eleanor ('Nell') Gwyn (1651?-1687), Actress; mistress of Charles II. Sitter associated with 30 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Sir Peter Lely (1618-1680), Portrait painter. Artist or producer associated with 843 portraits, Sitter in 19 portraits.
- Schenecker (active 1792), Engraver. Artist or producer associated with 11 portraits.
- John Scott (active 1799-1808), Publisher. Artist or producer associated with 61 portraits.
- John White (active 1792-1816), Bookseller. Artist or producer associated with 5 portraits.
Placesback to top
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1808back to top
Current affairsThe 'Mary Anne Clarke affair' erupts in which Clarke, mistress of Frederick, Duke of York, was said to have used her influence with him to run a military promotions racket. Championed by radical government opponents, it ends in the Duke's resignation as Commander-in-Chief of the army.
Art and scienceSculptor John Flaxman begins Nelson memorial for St Paul's.
Richard Trevithick demonstrates model railway travelling at 12 mph.
InternationalAfter taking Portugal, Napoleon invades Spain, deposes the Spanish Bourbon monarchy and appoints his brother Joseph as the new King. The
Peninsular War then begins under Sir John Moore and Arthur Wellesley, later Duke of Wellington, aiming to protect Portugal and exploit Iberian hatred of French tyranny.
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.
- Painted Ladies: Women at the Court of Charles II
- The Diary Room: Characters of the 17th Century
- The First Actresses: Nell Gwyn to Sarah Siddons
- Catherine Sedley
- Barbara Villiers
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Duchess of Cleveland Appeal
- Alexander Browne and Richard Tompson
- 2018 Anniversaries
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.