by John Ogborne, published by Anthony Molteno, after Sir Peter Lely
stipple engraving, published 2 January 1802
9 3/4 in. x 7 3/4 in. (248 mm x 196 mm) plate size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Sitterback to top
- Eleanor ('Nell') Gwyn (1651?-1687), Actress; mistress of Charles II. Sitter associated with 30 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Sir Peter Lely (1618-1680), Portrait painter. Artist or producer associated with 843 portraits, Sitter in 19 portraits.
- Anthony Molteno (active 1783-1830), Printseller and bookseller. Artist or producer associated with 22 portraits.
- John Ogborne (1755-1837). Artist or producer associated with 20 portraits.
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1802back to top
Current affairsAfter returning from Naples, Nelson tours England with the diplomat and antiquarian Sir William Hamilton and his wife Emma, with whom he was having an affair. With Nelson's status confirmed as a national hero, their reception outrivals that of the King.
Extensive strikes in government shipyards led by John Gast.
Art and scienceFrancis Jeffrey, MP and arbiter of literary taste, co-founds the Edinburgh Review, the influential Whig quarterly which voiced strong criticism of Wordsworth, Coleridge and Southey.
The Exchange, where stocks were traded, is rebuilt to cope with an increase in business during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars.
InternationalPeace of Amiens; Britain finally agrees to unpopular peace, leaving France the chief power in Europe and returning recent British colonial acquisitions.
Napoleon is declared First Consul of the French Empire for life.
English flock to see the international war plunder now on display at the Louvre in Paris.
Do, draw and make!
Do, draw and make!
From building dens to food faces – enjoy our Playful Portraits activities and find out about some brilliant people!
Activities for children and families inspired by three healthcare heroes from our Collection.
Downloadable and web based resources to support learning at home linked to art, history, citizenship and literacy.
- Painted Ladies: Women at the Court of Charles II
- The Diary Room: Characters of the 17th Century
- The First Actresses: Nell Gwyn to Sarah Siddons
- Catherine Sedley
- Barbara Villiers
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Duchess of Cleveland Appeal
- Alexander Browne and Richard Tompson
- 2018 Anniversaries
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.