The Grenfell family
6 of 8 portraits of Julian Pascoe Francis St Leger Grenfell, 3rd Baron Grenfell
The Grenfell family
by Bassano Ltd
whole-plate film negative, 6 October 1937
Given by Bassano & Vandyk Studios, 1974
Sittersback to top
- Julian Pascoe Francis St Leger Grenfell, 3rd Baron Grenfell (1935-), Banker; son of 2nd Baron Grenfell. Sitter associated with 8 portraits. Identify
- Elizabeth ('Betty') Sarah Polk (née Shaughnessy), Lady Grenfell, Wife of 2nd Baron Grenfell; daughter of Hon. Alfred Shaughnessy. Sitter associated with 20 portraits. Identify
- Hon. Caroline Sarah Aline Mieczkovski (née Grenfell) (1933-), Wife of Zbyszek Leon Mieczkovski; daughter of 2nd Baron Grenfell. Sitter in 12 portraits. Identify
Artistback to top
- Bassano Ltd (active 1901-1962), Photographers. Artist associated with 42739 portraits.
Events of 1937back to top
Current affairsGeorge VI becomes king. The younger brother of Edward VIII was crowned on the 12th May and the coronation was broadcast to Britain and the Empire on the radio. Edward becomes the Duke of Windsor, although the rank of 'Royal Highness' is not extended to Wallis Simpson.
Neville Chamberlain becomes Prime Minister following Baldwin's retirement.
Art and scienceRoland Penrose organises a tour of Picasso's painting Guernica to the UK. The painting, which shows the horrors of the Spanish Civil War, went on display at the Whitechapel Art Gallery in East London
InternationalCommercial airship travel is brought to an end with the 'Hindenberg Disaster'. The German airship exploded while landing in New Jersey. The radio broadcaster Herbert Morrison's reaction has become legendary: 'Oh, the humanity!'
Japan invades China, killing about 25,000. Japanese Troops committed numerous atrocities against soldiers and civilians in what became known as the 'Rape of Nanking'.
Read our latest news and have your say.
Identify our Silhouettes
Join enthusiastic contributors who have already identified 155 sitters.
Tell us more about our Silvy sitters
Help us identify the sitters who visited Camille Silvy’s photographic studio during the 1860s.
- Margery Allingham
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Learn more
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Bassano Studio Portrait Collection
- Classical Music and the First World War
- Athletes and Olympians
- Centenary of flight
- Born in 1856
- LGBTQ+ History Month
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.