Samuel de Sorbiere
Samuel de Sorbiere
by Gerard Audran, after Unknown artist
line engraving, 1667
9 5/8 in. x 7 1/4 in. (246 mm x 185 mm) plate size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Sitterback to top
- Samuel de Sorbiere (1615-1670), French philosopher and translator. Sitter in 1 portrait.
Artistsback to top
Events of 1667back to top
Current affairsLeading figures of the 'Cabal' ministry, Henry Bennet, Earl of Arlington and George Villiers, Duke of Buckingham, engineer the downfall of first minister, Edward Hyde, Earl of Clarendon, who is ousted from Parliament. Fallen out of favour with the king, Clarendon's pompous attitude and conservatism had made him increasingly unpopular.
Art and scienceDutch woodcarver and sculptor Grinling Gibbons arrives in England. His innovative, naturalistic foliage woodcarving, with emphasis on sculptural form, became hugely popular.
Poet John Milton sells the rights to his epic poem, Paradise Lost (1663), to printer Samuel Simmons.
InternationalDutch Admiral Michiel de Ruyter leads his fleet up the River Medway and succeeds in destroying several of Britain's warships at Chatham. Peace negotiations to end the Anglo-Dutch War were already in progress in Breda, but the attack encouraged a humiliated Charles II to hastily sue for peace.
Visit From Your Armchair
Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize
An online exhibition celebrating the very best in contemporary portrait photography.
Explore our community photography project, which presents a personal record of the UK during lockdown.
Sculptures in 360°
See sculptures and fascinating objects from our Collection from all angles.
David Hockney: Drawing from Life
Watch highlights from our special exhibition, which had to close early in March 2020 due to lockdown.
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints