'The day before the wedding'
14 of 48 portraits of Frederick III, Emperor of Germany and King of Prussia
'The day before the wedding'
by John Jabez Edwin Mayall
albumen carte-de-visite, 9 March 1863
2 1/4 in. x 3 1/8 in. (57 mm x 78 mm) image size
Artistback to top
- John Jabez Edwin Mayall (1813-1901), Photographer. Artist associated with 506 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Queen Alexandra (1844-1925), Queen of Edward VII. Sitter associated with 474 portraits, Artist associated with 10 portraits.
- Princess Alice, Grand Duchess of Hesse (1843-1878), Third child of Queen Victoria; wife of Louis IV, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine. Sitter associated with 109 portraits.
- Christian IX, King of Denmark (1818-1906), Reigned 1863-1906; father of Queen Alexandra. Sitter in 18 portraits.
- King Edward VII (1841-1910), Reigned 1901-10. Sitter associated with 503 portraits.
- Frederick III, Emperor of Germany and King of Prussia (1831-1888), Reigned 1888; husband of Princess Victoria (Princess Royal). Sitter associated with 48 portraits.
- Frederick VIII, King of Denmark (1843-1912), Reigned 1906-12; brother of Queen Alexandra. Sitter in 21 portraits.
- George I, King of Greece (1845-1913), King of the Hellenes, reigned 1863-1913; brother of Queen Alexandra. Sitter in 20 portraits.
- Princess Helena Augusta Victoria of Schleswig-Holstein (1846-1923), Wife of Prince Christian of Schleswig-Holstein; third daughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 80 portraits.
- Louis IV, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine (1837-1892), Soldier; husband of Princess Alice, Grand Duchess of Hesse. Sitter in 48 portraits.
- Louise, Queen of Denmark (1817-1898), Wife of Christian IX, King of Denmark; mother of Queen Alexandra. Sitter in 29 portraits.
- Princess Louise Caroline Alberta, Duchess of Argyll (1848-1939), Artist, sculptor and fourth daughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 94 portraits, Artist associated with 1 portrait.
- Maria Feodorovna, Empress of Russia (Princess Dagmar) (1847-1928), Wife of Alexander III, Emperor of Russia; daughter of Christian IX, King of Denmark; sister of Queen Alexandra. Sitter in 38 portraits.
- Victoria, Empress of Germany and Queen of Prussia (1840-1901), Consort of Frederick III, German Emperor, King of Prussia; daughter of Queen Victoria. Sitter associated with 124 portraits.
Events of 1863back to top
Current affairsThe opening of the world's first underground railway, with the Metropolitan Railway running trains between Bishop's Street, Padington and Farringdon. Work had begun in 1860, using the 'cut-and-cover' method of construction. The Metropolitan line inspired the construction of other underground railways - the Parisian 'Metro' took its name from the line.
The Football Association is founded.
Art and scienceJulia Margaret Cameron takes up photography, taking portraits of some of the most celebrated figures of the day, with her romantic style capturing the sense of nostalgia and longing that characterised the age.
Kingsley's Water Babies; A Fairy Tale for Children is published, the hugely popular tale of drowned chimney sweep Tom's moral education in the river world of the water babies. It inspired the 1978 film starring James Mason.