'Lord Compton's family'
'Lord Compton's family'
by Camille Silvy
albumen print, 1860
3 1/4 in. x 2 3/8 in. (81 mm x 59 mm) image size
Artistback to top
- Camille Silvy (1834-1910), Photographer. Artist associated with 13465 portraits, Sitter in 24 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Charles John Spencer Compton, Earl Compton (1849-1887), Son of 4th Marquess of Northampton. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Lord Alwyne Frederick Compton (1855-1911), Politician and army officer; son of 4th Marquess of Northampton. Sitter in 6 portraits. Identify
- Alice Elizabeth Compton (1854-1862), Daughter of 4th Marquess of Northampton. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- Katrine Cecilia (née Compton), Countess Cowper (1845-1913), Wife of 7th Earl Cowper; daughter of 4th Marquess of Northampton. Sitter in 6 portraits. Identify
- Lady Margaret Georgiana Graham (née Compton) (1847-1931), Second wife of Sir Henry John Lowndes Graham; daughter of 4th Marquess of Northampton. Sitter in 5 portraits. Identify
- Eliza (née Elliot), Marchioness of Northampton (died 1877), Wife of 4th Marquess of Northampton; daughter of Sir George Elliot. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- William George Spencer Scott Compton, 5th Marquess of Northampton (1851-1913), Diplomat, politician and landowner. Sitter in 5 portraits. Identify
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (photographer's studio, 38 Porchester Terrace, Bayswater, London)
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1860back to top
Current affairsAn early feminist movement, The Society for Promoting the Employment of Women is founded by Adelaide Anne Proctor, Emily Faithfull, Helen Blackburn, Bessie Parks, Emily Davies, Barbara Bodichon, and Jessie Boucherett.
The Florence Nightingale Training School for Nurses opens at St Thomas's Hospital, in London, funded from the testimonial fund collected for Nightingale following her war services, and helping to establish nursing as a profession.
Art and scienceWilliam Morris and new wife Jane Burden move into the Red House, near Bexleyheath, Kent. The house, designed by Philip Webb, represents Morris's principle in interior design, that no object should be in a house that is not beautiful.
Ford Madox Brown paints The Last of England, showing a boat of emigrants leaving England under desperate circumstances, inspired by the emigration of the Pre-Raphaelite Thomas Woolner to Australia in 1852.
InternationalItalian unification continues as the Treaty of Turin brings much of Northern Italy under nationalist leader Cavour's control, who cedes Savoy and Nice to France. Garibaldi siezes the opportunity to invade Marsala in Sicily with his army of 1,000 redshirts, proclaiming himself dictator in the name of Victor Emmanuel II.
Republican Abraham Lincoln becomes President of the US, with only 39% of the popular vote.
Listen to a series of podcasts exploring the lives of pioneering women, past and present.
William Eggleston was closely associated with the alternative music scene in Memphis. Revisit our 2016 exhibition and listen to a special playlist.
Links to audio and transcripts of interviews with artists, sitters and historic recordings.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints