Women Labour MPs
3 of 33 portraits of Ellen Cicely Wilkinson
Women Labour MPs
by Unknown photographer
bromide print, 1929
5 5/8 in. x 7 1/2 in. (143 mm x 192 mm)
Sittersback to top
- Ethel Bentham (1861-1931), Doctor, politician and sufragette; MP for Islington East. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Margaret Grace Bondfield (1873-1953), Trade unionist, campaigner for women's interests and politician; MP for Wallsend, Northampton and first woman cabinet minister. Sitter in 9 portraits. Identify
- Mary Agnes Hamilton (née Adamson) (1882-1966), Politician, writer and broadcaster. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- (Arabella) Susan Lawrence (1871-1947), Politician; MP for East Ham North. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- Janet ('Jennie') Lee, Baroness Lee of Asheridge (1904-1988), Labour politician; MP for Cannock and North Lanarkshire and Minister for the Arts; wife of Aneurin Bevan. Sitter in 33 portraits. Identify
- Lady Cynthia Blanche Mosley (née Curzon) (1898-1933), Society figure and Labour politician; MP for Stoke; first wife of Sir Oswald Mosley; daughter of 1st Marquess Curzon of Kedleston. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Marion Phillips (1881-1932), Labour politician; MP for Sunderland. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Edith Picton-Turbervill (1872-1960), Social reformer, writer and politician; MP for The Wrekin. Sitter in 8 portraits. Identify
- Ellen Cicely Wilkinson (1891-1947), Labour politician; MP for Middlesbrough East and Jarrow, Minister for Education and Parliamentary Private Secretary. Sitter in 33 portraits. Identify
This portraitback to top
Front row, left to right: Lady Cynthia Mosley (1898-1933), Miss Susan Lawrence (1871-1947), the Rt. Hon. Margaret Bondfield (1873-1953), Miss Ellen Wilkinson (1891-1947), Miss Jennie Lee (1904-1988)
Back row: Dr. Marion Phillips (1881-1932), Miss Edith Picton-Turberville (1872-1960), Dr. Ethel Bentham (1861-1931), Miss Mary Agnes Hamilton (1882-1966).
This photograph was taken to mark the first election following the introduction of universal suffrage in 1928. Among the MPs photographed are the first woman cabinet minister (Margaret Bondfield), the future leader of the Jarrow marchers (Ellen Wilkinson) and the founding spirit of the Open University (Jennie Lee).
Linked publicationsback to top
- Owen, Elizabeth, Fashion in Photographs 1920-1940, 1993, p. 55
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
Events of 1929back to top
Current affairsThe first election held under universal suffrage is a victory for Labour. Ramsay Macdonald returned for his second term as Prime Minster, and appointed Margaret Grace Bondfield as the first woman Cabinet Minister.
Art and scienceTwo classic books about the First World War are published: All Quiet on the Western Front, by war veteran, Erich Maria Remarque, tells of the horrors of war and the returning German soldiers' feelings of detachment from civilian life; while Robert Grave's autobiography Goodbye to All That, aimed to describe the author's experiences of the war so that they 'need never be thought about again'.
InternationalThe 24th October 1929 becomes known as Black Thursday when the US Stock Exchange Collapses and millions are lost. The event was the start of the Wall Street Crash, which in turn contributed towards the Great Depression: a major international recession that lasted through most of the 1930s.
Become a Member
Enjoy access to special events, discounts on the Gallery online shop, supporters’ updates and much more
Bringing people together by sharing the portraits and stories of the men and women who have shaped our nation.
Sign up to receive information on exhibitions, collections and activities of the National Portrait Gallery, including special offers, shop products, and exclusive competitions.
- Rebel women
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Hold Still: Explore our Collection
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Jean Simmons: a life in pictures
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Rupert Brooke: War Poet
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Lillah McCarthy
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Joseph Conrad
- George Augustus Sala
- Lives and Letters
- Portraits of John Nash
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.