1 portrait of Edward King
after Unknown artist
line engraving, circa 1696
7 3/8 in. x 5 3/4 in. (188 mm x 145 mm) plate size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- Robert Charnock (1663-1696), Jacobite Conspirator. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Charles Cranborne (died 1696), Jacobite Conspirator. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Sir John Friend (Freind) (baptised 1640-1696), Brewer and Jacobite conspirator. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Thomas Keys (died 1696), Jacobite Conspirator. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Edward King (died 1696), Jacobite Conspirator. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Robert Lowick (1655-1696), Army officer and Jacobite conspirator. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Sir William Parkyns (baptised 1649-1696), Lawyer and Jacobite conspirator. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Ambrose Rockwood (1664-1696), Jacobite Conspirator and Brigadier. Sitter in 1 portrait.
Events of 1696back to top
Current affairsHMS Sovereign of the Seas is accidentally destroyed by fire at Chatham.
Window Duty, based upon the number of windows in a house, is levied by Parliament to support William III's war with France.
The Great Recoinage attempts to replace coins in circulation made up of hammered silver.
Art and scienceRecently ordained, Jonathan Swift writes his first book, A Tale of a Tub, which includes an allegory of three brothers representing the principal divisions of Western Christianity.
Architect and playwright, John Vanbrugh's hugely successful comedy, The Relapse, is staged at the Drury Lane Theatre.
InternationalAfter several years of secret negotiations forged by William III with Louis XIV, king of France, to end the Nine Years' War, envoys from both sides unofficially begin serious talks.
Economic depression in Holland leads to riots in Amsterdam.
Exhibitions and displays
- Life, Death and Memory
Until 4 February 2018
- Portrait of the Day: Henry VIII & Katherine of Aragon
17 December, 12:30
Tell us more
Help us conserve a portrait of a female adventurer, poet and medical pioneer