1 portrait of Dame (Jean) Iris Murdoch
© Yevonde Portrait Archive / Mary Evans Picture Library
by Madame Yevonde
bromide print on velvet card mount, 1967
14 5/8 in. x 11 5/8 in. (372 mm x 296 mm) image size
Given by Madame Yevonde, 1971
Sitterback to top
- Dame (Jean) Iris Murdoch (1919-1999), Novelist and philosopher. Sitter in 35 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Madame Yevonde (1893-1975), Photographer. Artist associated with 319 portraits, Sitter in 8 portraits.
Events of 1967back to top
Current affairsHarold Wilson decides to devalue the pound by nearly 15% in order to ' break out from the straitjacket' of boom and bust economics. The decision was controversial and prompted Wilson to reassure the public that the 'pound in your pocket' would not be worth any less.
Art and scienceThe Beatles release Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, with a record sleeve designed by pop artist, Peter Blake. The band's musical experimentation and colourful new look was an example of psychedelic, and the LP is often regarded as one of the first concept albums.
InternationalChe Guevara is captured and executed in Bolivia. The guerrilla leader and revolutionary icon was hunted down by the CIA and captured and shot by Bolivian Special Forces. He had been leading Bolivian insurgents in an attempt to overthrow the government.
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Artists and sitters
- Ida Kar: Bohemian Photographer, 1908-1974
- Icons and Idols: Commissioning Contemporary Portraits
- Britain 1960-1990
- Bill Brandt: Portraits 1982
- Derry Moore Photographs
- A Question of Identity: Self-Portrait Photographs 1850-2000
- Learn more
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Goddesses and Others
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Mirror Mirror: Self-portraits by women artists