John James Glossop
12 of 4042 portraits matching these criteria:
- set matching 'Terence Pepper gift'
John James Glossop
by Unknown photographer
albumen stereoscopic card, 1858
3 1/4 in. x 6 5/8 in. (83 mm x 168 mm) overall
Given by Terence Pepper, 2007
Sitterback to top
- John James Glossop (1816-1886), Army officer, Justice of the Peace and landowner. Sitter associated with 2 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Unknown photographer, Photographer. Artist or producer associated with 6582 portraits.
Events of 1858back to top
Current affairsAfter Palmerston's government collapses, the Earl of Derby becomes Prime Minister for second time, again heading a minority government.
The Property qualification for MPs is abolished; one of the demands made by the Chartists, this allowed men who did not own property to stand as parliamentary candidates. Lionel Nathan Rothschild becomes the first Jew to sit in Britain's House of Commons, taking his oath on the Old Testament.
Art and scienceThe pianist Charles Hallé founds a symphony orchestra in Manchester, the Halle; now Britain's oldest professional orchestra. The Hallé symphony rose to prominence in the mid-20th century, under the tenure of conductor John Barbirolli, during which time they made many recordings, including Ralph Vaughan Williams's Symphony No. 8.
InternationalThe British Crown assumes control of India from the East India Company.
The Treaty of Tientsin, ending the Second Opium War, gives European powers new rights to intervene in Chinese affairs
The Fenian Brotherhood is founded by John O'Mahony, an Irish emigrant to the United States, to support Irish republican ambitions.
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- George Augustus Sala
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Lives and Letters
- Lillah McCarthy
- Portraits of John Nash
- Joseph Conrad
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Beatles to Bowie: the 60s exposed
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Rupert Brooke: War Poet
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Jean Simmons: a life in pictures
- Conscientious Objectors of the First World War
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Rebel women