Life of Martin Luther
Life of Martin Luther
by Johann-Baptist Paravicini (Paravicinus)
line engraving, circa 1674
12 3/8 in. x 16 1/8 in. (315 mm x 409 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1988
Sitterback to top
- Martin Luther (1483-1546), German religious reformer. Sitter associated with 17 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Johann-Baptist Paravicini (Paravicinus) (active 1656-1676), Engraver. Artist of 1 portrait.
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- 1517: Martin Luther and the English Reformation (21 July 2017 - 2 December 2018)
Subjects & Themesback to top
- Angels, fairies and cherubs
- Books and libraries
- Buildings and architecture
- Doorways and archways
- Group portraits
- Line engraving
- Pets and animals
- Pets and animals - Birds
- Pets and animals - Horses
- Religion, faith and spirituality
- Transport and vehicles
- Transport and vehicles - Animals
- Transport and vehicles - Buggies, carriages and carts
- Words and inscriptions
Events of 1674back to top
Current affairsPolitical society, the Green Ribbon Club, begins meeting. Initially composed of disaffected lawyers and republicans, the club opposed what it believed was a gradual shift towards a pro-Catholic government under Charles II. Political economist, Slingsby Bethel is an early member.
Art and scienceRevision of John Dryden and William Davenant's adaptation of William Shakespeare's, The Tempest, into a semi-opera is probably accomplished by playwright, Thomas Shadwell. The adaptation popularised operatic entertainment. Shadwell's subsequent dramatic musical score for his play Psyche (1675), became the first to be published in England.
InternationalLord treasurer, Thomas Osborne, argues for a separate peace deal with Holland as concerns grow in Parliament over England's alliance with France in the Third Anglo-Dutch War. Refused further funds for the war, Charles II signs the Treaty of Westminster ending English participation in the conflict.
Make a donation
Support our Making History appeal and help us transform the Gallery.
A unique range of books, accessories and gifts. Every purchase supports the Gallery’s work.
Bring a familiar face home
Refresh your home gallery with a huge selection of custom art prints .