after Unknown artist
line engraving, 1650
5 3/8 in. x 4 1/4 in. (138 mm x 108 mm) paper size
Related worksback to top
Events of 1650back to top
Current affairsExiled Charles, Prince of Wales, holds negotiations in the Netherlands, with the Scottish Parliament to secure an alliance. Despite misgivings on both sides, and pressure from the Scots for Charles to sign the covenants, the treaty of Breda is agreed.
Oliver Cromwell defeats the Scots at the Battle of Dunbar.
Art and sciencePoet and politician, Andrew Marvell, composes his greatest political poem, Horatian Ode upon Cromwell's Return from Ireland. Marvell become Oliver Cromwell's unofficial poet laureate during the Protectorate.
InternationalWilliam, The Prince of Orange, grandson of Charles I, is born assuming the title from the moment of birth. Forty years later, he would become William III of England.
General-at-Sea, Robert Blake is dispatched to Portugal to prevent attacks on Commonwealth merchant shipping from royalist, Prince Rupert, based in Lisbon.
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints