by Camille Silvy
albumen carte-de-visite, July 1861
3 3/8 in. x 2 1/4 in. (85 mm x 56 mm)
Given by an anonymous donor, 1973
Sitterback to top
- Adelina Patti (1843-1919), Singer; sister of Carlotta Patti. Sitter associated with 55 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Camille Silvy (1834-1910), Photographer. Artist associated with 9076 portraits, Sitter in 24 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Victorian Portraits Resource Pack, p. 5
- Funnell, Peter, Victorian Portraits in the National Portrait Gallery Collection, 1996, p. 5
- Rogers, Malcolm, Camera Portraits, 1989 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 20 October 1989 - 21 January 1990), p. 61
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (photographer's studio, 38 Porchester Terrace, Bayswater, London)
Events of 1861back to top
Current affairsDeath of Prince Albert, from typhoid fever. Queen Victoria goes into a long period of mourning, withdrawing from public duties, and becomes known by the satirical title 'Widow of Windsor'.
Art and scienceMrs Beeton's Book of Household Management is published by her husband Sidney, who successfully maintained the Beeton brand after his wife's early death seven years later. The highly popular book, containing recipes and advice for housekeeping, appealed to the Victorian belief that a woman's role was managing the home.
Morris, Marshall, Faulkner and Company is founded, marking the start of the arts and crafts movement.