Sir Horatius Murray
Sir Horatius Murray
by Bassano Ltd
half-plate film negative, 18 March 1963
Artistback to top
- Bassano Ltd (active 1901-1962), Photographers. Artist associated with 42740 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (photographer's studio, 78 Wigmore Street, London)
Events of 1963back to top
Current affairsThe Secretary of State for War, John Profumo is found to have lied to the House of Commons when he denied having an affair with the showgirl, Christine Keeler. The Profumo Affair was a public scandal for the Conservative party, and ultimately contributed to the resignation of Harold Macmillan.
Art and scienceDoctor Who is first broadcast on the BBC with William Hartnell playing the Doctor. This long running science fiction series about an alien Time Lord who travels through time and space in his police-box-shaped Tardis has been watched by generations of viewers (often from behind the back of the sofa), and features imaginative, but traditionally low-budget, special effects, innovative electronic music, and the Doctor's greatest enemy, the Daleks.
InternationalJohn F. Kennedy is assassinated in Texas. The arrest of Lee Harvey Oswald for his murder did not prevent a score of conspiracy theories involving Cuba, the CIA, the KGB, and the Mafia among others.
Martin Luther King delivers his 'I have a dream' speech, marking an important moment in the civil rights movement in America and helping to secure him the Nobel Peace Prize' in 1964.
- Athletes and Olympians
- Margery Allingham
- Born in 1856
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Centenary of flight
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Learn more
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Classical Music and the First World War
- Bassano Studio Portrait Collection