Sir Galbraith Lowry Cole
3 of 6 portraits of Sir Galbraith Lowry Cole
Sir Galbraith Lowry Cole
by Charles Picart, published by T. Cadell & W. Davies, after John Wright, after Sir Thomas Lawrence
stipple engraving, published 21 August 1816
15 in. x 12 7/8 in. (381 mm x 326 mm) plate size; 16 in. x 13 1/4 in. (407 mm x 338 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Artistsback to top
- T. Cadell & W. Davies (active 1795-1817), Publishers. Artist or producer associated with 236 portraits.
- Sir Thomas Lawrence (1769-1830), Portrait painter, collector and President of the Royal Academy. Artist or producer associated with 689 portraits, Sitter in 25 portraits.
- Charles Picart (circa 1780-circa 1837), Engraver, draughtsman and painter. Artist or producer associated with 119 portraits.
- John Wright (circa 1745-1820), Engraver and miniaturist. Artist or producer associated with 33 portraits.
Events of 1816back to top
Current affairsMarriage of Princess Charlotte to Leopold I.
Income Tax abolished.
Unsuccessful Spa Fields Riot led by the ultra-radical Arthur Thistlewood which aimed to attack the Tower of London and the Bank of England and set up a ruling 'Committee of Public Safety' following the French model.
Art and scienceJane Austen publishes Emma.
Leeds and Liverpool Canal completed.
InternationalBritish Government buys the Elgin Marbles, taken from the Acropolis in Athens by Thomas Bruce, 7th Earl of Elgin, and brought to England between 1803 and 1812. Their acquisition prompts support from Thomas Lawrence and Benjamin Robert Haydon and condemnation from Lord Byron.
Slave rebellion fails in Barbados; four hundred slaves are executed.
Make a donation
Support our Make History appeal and help us transform the Gallery.
A unique range of books, accessories and gifts. Every purchase supports the Gallery’s work.
Bring a familiar face home
Refresh your home gallery with a huge selection of custom art prints .
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance minisite
- Thomas Lawrence and picture framing
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Party Trail
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- Regency familiar faces
- 2. Lawrence at work
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.