King Edward II
King Edward II
by John Carwitham, after Unknown artist
mezzotint, circa 1723-1741
3 3/8 in. x 2 3/8 in. (87 mm x 61 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Artistsback to top
Events of 1723back to top
Current affairsExiled Jacobite leader Henry St John, 1st Viscount Bolingbroke is pardoned and allowed to return to London from Paris.
Workhouse Test Act under which poor relief claimants have to enter a workhouse.
Black Act makes poaching a capital offence.
Art and scienceArchitect Christopher Wren dies.
Artist Joshua Reynolds is born in Plympton, Devon.
Portrait-painter Godfrey Kneller dies.
Philosopher Bernard de Mandeville republishes his celebrated Fable of the Bees with new essays on charity and the nature of society. They are vigorously combated and made the subject of prosecution in 1729.
InternationalHoly Roman Emperor, Charles VI, agrees that Hungary shall be ruled as a separate kingdom within his empire.
Treaty of Charlottenburg signed between Britain and Prussia, which arranges for George I's grandson to marry a Prussian princess and Prince Frederick of Prussia to marry the Prince of Wales' daughter. It is never enacted.
- Picturing History: A portrait set of early English kings and queens
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints