King Henry IV
King Henry IV
by John Faber Jr, after Unknown artist
mezzotint, circa 1731
10 1/2 in. x 8 1/8 in. (268 mm x 206 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1962
Artistsback to top
Events of 1731back to top
Current affairsLegal proceedings in British courts are conducted in the English language for the first time.
Art and scienceSculptor Michael Rysbrack creates a monument to Newton in Westminster Abbey.
The influential Gentleman's Magazine is launched on 1 January.
Agriculturalist Jethro Tull publishes his pioneering treatise The New Horse-Houghing Husbandry.
InternationalTreaty of Vienna with Austria is signed by Philip Dormer Stanhope, 1st Earl of Chesterfield on behalf of Britain, marking the collapse of the Anglo-French Alliance (1727-1731) and the beginning of the Anglo-Austrian Alliance.
Trader Robert Jenkins has his ear cut off by Spanish coast guards in Cuba leading to the War of Jenkins' Ear in 1739.
Visit From Your Armchair
Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize
An online exhibition celebrating the very best in contemporary portrait photography.
Explore our community photography project, which presents a personal record of the UK during lockdown.
Sculptures in 360°
See sculptures and fascinating objects from our Collection from all angles.
David Hockney: Drawing from Life
Watch highlights from our special exhibition, which had to close early in March 2020 due to lockdown.
- Picturing History: A portrait set of early English kings and queens
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history
- The artist's porte-crayon
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.